Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4-tec 2003 Battery going flat when in water

Have a 4-tec 155 everything seems fine , engine running fine but as soon as it is off the trailer and in water, battery goes flat and wont start
    when i take it out its diffucult to start however eventually running fine, stop and then start and all fine but again as soon as in water same thing
    anyone got any ideas
    thanks

This is a odd problem. The battery should not be affected by the ski being in the water. The only thing I can think of is the T.O.P switch. What this switch does is detect to see if the ski is upside down and if it is upside down the ski won't start. The switch could be bad and this would seem like the battery is dead because the switch thinks the ski is up side down. Also make sure no water is in the oil, pull the dip stick out and make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake.

Quote Originally Posted by blueled View Post
    This is a odd problem. The battery should not be affected by the ski being in the water. The only thing I can think of is the T.O.P switch. What this switch does is detect to see if the ski is upside down and if it is upside down the ski won't start. The switch could be bad and this would seem like the battery is dead because the switch thinks the ski is up side down. Also make sure no water is in the oil, pull the dip stick out and make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake.
    Hi, thanks for your reply will check it this weekend, as for the oil i noticed a drop or 2 on dipstick but nothing significant
    Its just battery goes dead, engine on trailer runs well compression ok, sounds ok andalso checked and battery is charging, also has someone suggesting that maybe grounding/earth cable issue and it might discharge whilse not on trailer but no sure if that is feasable

Will do an update after testing with your suggestion

Thanks again

Dino

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoDino View Post
    Have a 4-tec 155 everything seems fine , engine running fine but as soon as it is off the trailer and in water, battery goes flat and wont start
    when i take it out its diffucult to start however eventually running fine, stop and then start and all fine but again as soon as in water same thing
    anyone got any ideas
    thanks
    The Engine is under more load when in the water, so it puts load on the battery to turn it over. Have the battery load tested at your auto parts store, and buy a new one if needed. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GinoDino View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply will check it this weekend, as for the oil i noticed a drop or 2 on dipstick but nothing significant
    Its just battery goes dead, engine on trailer runs well compression ok, sounds ok andalso checked and battery is charging, also has someone suggesting that maybe grounding/earth cable issue and it might discharge whilse not on trailer but no sure if that is feasable

Will do an update after testing with your suggestion

Thanks again

Dino

AM
    Sturm215 is right, when in water it requires more power to start the ski so you could have a weak battery and not know it, Have you load tested it? Many Dealers will load test it for free or autozone and carquest places.
    Does it run fine on the garden hose? Check owners manual on how to run your ski on the water hose.
    I never heard of a ski being grounded when in water but the grounds could be corroded and this could restrict the flow of current to the starter. If the cables that connect to your battery don't look shinny then they have built up some corrosion on them, just take sand paper and clean off both sides of the terminal, it should expose the copper underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by blueled View Post
    AM
    Sturm215 is right, when in water it requires more power to start the ski so you could have a weak battery and not know it, Have you load tested it? Many Dealers will load test it for free or autozone and carquest places.
    Does it run fine on the garden hose? Check owners manual on how to run your ski on the water hose.
    I never heard of a ski being grounded when in water but the grounds could be corroded and this could restrict the flow of current to the starter. If the cables that connect to your battery don't look shinny then they have built up some corrosion on them, just take sand paper and clean off both sides of the terminal, it should expose the copper underneath.
    it runs perfect on garden hose and no issues, what you said makes sense i guess since 1 time that was kind of half jet was in water in port and still on trailer it did start but could not run it for long because of small boats around and waves it was creating from jet
    Battery is month old so i can always exchange it for replacement (still under guaranttee)
    Will try all the baove and update this thread as soon as i got any results (+ or -)

Thanks

also make sure you have the correct battery in your ski. I've seen people put 2 stroke batteries in there 4 strokes, the 4 stroke batteries are bigger and have more cranking amps. The 4 stroke battery is a size 30 battery and looks like this (ETX30L) http://www.etx30l.com/images/etx30lmain.jpg

checked battery and it seems fine however diagnosis shows there is a fault with MAIN HARNESS and part number 278001788 have to be replaces so waiting for delivery of this item and try again.

Is the battery charging?

Yes irs charging and showing around 14.1or2 when engine running however somehow power does not go to Display and when you check the voltage there its only 2 hence complete harness from fusebox all the way to instrument etc was suggested to be changed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information