Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is minor piston damage ok?

Hey guys.. basically the dealership has rebuilt my rxp 05 ski after a valve drop incident. I've supplied them with Ferrea valves that i bought myself from pwc-performance . They got the ski ready ready over a week, and took it to the water themselves to test it (i wasn't there). They called me to say there are still some problems.. and that the lock on 1 of the valves broke. They re-opened the engine and stuff.. i don't know what caused it or how to fix it.. but to my eyes i noticed 1 of the pistons had now got some minor damage on the very top surface (due to the valve lock breaking). I asked the mechanic if this damage could cause further failures in the future? But his reply was that this area of the piston wouldn't cause failures in the future.. unsure if he's actually being honest or biased because it was caused by their hands.

So ..

Do you think i should let it slide or could this cause problems? I don't have pictures sorry as the engine was closed up again before i could take any. But is it possible to have minor piston damage from a valve lock being smashed and still run smooth?
    Is it possible that i could press this issue and have them replace it because they applied the valve wrong or something? They seem to be blaming the ferrea valves, saying they're weak.

any insight would be helpful.. really! thanks

+1
    The first thing that comes to mind is whether the valve lock broke or was it the wrong lock?? When I did my ferrea valves, one lock was not the same as the rest. I didn't notice til I had a real good look at them and could only tell because it didn't quite sit right when the spring pressure was released onto the lock. I have heard of this happening to at least one other person. I'd be very surprised if a lock actually broke.

Was the cylinder scored from the dropped valve? I don't think the piston top having a minor scuff would cause too many dramas, but I'd be surprised if no other damage was done.

+1
    yes he should show you the broken part. the valve is prob junk and it could have damaged the seat and guide

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is whether the valve lock broke or was it the wrong lock?? When I did my ferrea valves, one lock was not the same as the rest. I didn't notice til I had a real good look at them and could only tell because it didn't quite sit right when the spring pressure was released onto the lock. I have heard of this happening to at least one other person. I'd be very surprised if a lock actually broke.

Was the cylinder scored from the dropped valve? I don't think the piston top having a minor scuff would cause too many dramas, but I'd be surprised if no other damage was done.
    I believe the cylinder was scored, some things were taken for boring and honing, i assume it was the cylinder and it had been repaired.

The mechanic showed me the little pieces of black plastic he collected, all the shattered peices from the lock. I don't know how this only happened to 1 valve lock and not he rest.. and what would happen now if 1 valve has no lock on it? does it have to be replaced? and if so it it possible to use 11 ferrea valves and 1 OEM valve?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Sperinck View Post
    I believe the cylinder was scored, some things were taken for boring and honing, i assume it was the cylinder and it had been repaired.

The mechanic showed me the little pieces of black plastic he collected, all the shattered peices from the lock. I don't know how this only happened to 1 valve lock and not he rest.. and what would happen now if 1 valve has no lock on it? does it have to be replaced? and if so it it possible to use 11 ferrea valves and 1 OEM valve?
    If the cylinder was scored, it would have to be bored to suit an oversize piston, so you would need another piston regardless...

The valve locks are not plastic and I can't imagine them shattering as you described. But I could be wrong. You can not use OEM locks with ferrea valves as the ferrea uses single grove locks.

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    If the cylinder was scored, it would have to be bored to suit an oversize piston, so you would need another piston regardless...

The valve locks are not plastic and I can't imagine them shattering as you described. But I could be wrong. You can not use OEM locks with ferrea valves as the ferrea uses single grove locks.
    Sorry i think i misunderstood what you meant by score. Whatever damage the dropped valve did.. all of the parts were replaced or bored / honed.

Apparently according to the mechanic, they noticed that theres a small crack in the cylinder head thats so small you can barely see it.. he said he applied a paste or something (He's indian so i couldn't take it all in accurately). And they tested it on the water which i just came back from, it was running hard without problems for about 20 minutes. He says the paste may ware off and the crack may form again in the future.. but for now he recommends using it.. and if it forms again, the oil will leak and performance will fall and thats the sign for taking it back to the workshop and for a new cylinder head to be installed. What do you think about this? Can the crack be repaired?

+1
    Holy crap!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!!! Where do you live, out in the middle of nowwhere?????? OMG!!!!!! I would never let that slide!!!!!!!! You are just looking for trouble again and againg and again....................Have it fixed right, do not "paste" anything together it will not last!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Ctrl+V=Paste..

+1
    No way in Hell would I run a pasted (epoxy) head, it wont last no time before it turns loose and possibly beats up the valves. That head should have been replaced! How many times do they think you can bore the block after the cylinders are damaged again? Half ass work will get you half ass results! Sorry, just dont want you to get screwed on this. If it were mine they would have been looking at a lot more repairs, hope like hell they did their home work on the cylinder that the valve dropped in. This is a perfect example of why people shouldn't have the stealers working on their machines, true not all are the same but we are always seeing guys post bad results from dealer repairs. Those guys work for someone else, unlike the many smaller shops that tend to produce work that is realiable. Those are the guys that have reputations to protect, their livelyhoods depend on it!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Ctrl+V=Paste..
    +1

With any shortcut you take on anything, there are consequences.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information