Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sl750 water injestion and intake

So I have a 1995 sl750 with the stock airbox minus the snorkel boot and everytime i run it I end up with water going down the intake and it bogging and sputtering of the get go. When i put a factory 90 degree snorkel on it the thing just dies no matter what i do to the tuning and wont go over 32 mph and becomes completely gutless. This thing always has about a half an inch of water in the back of it, and well that level never goes up or down, I feel that this would make putting aftermarkets on it just as ineffective as it would still allow water to plow into the filters. My question is, has anyone came up with a good way of putting a snorkel on this thing that is not restrictive like the factory one? Or are there any aftermarket/factory options that would stop this?
    I tired putting a drier vent tube on the intake and running it to the back of the ski and well that did prove as a viable concept and it didnt injest water, the tube came apart and is started sucking down the little metal flakes from the tube as it rattled apart.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

thanks

+1
    The ski dying with the snorkel in place means there is a carburetion problem.
    1) Have you ever rebuilt the carbs?
    2) have you upgraded to a 3-outlet fuel pump?
    3) Are the high and low needles set to stock settings?
    4) Are the reeds in good shape?

These are the first problems to rectify. If these are not addressed you run the risk of internal engine problems.

Problem #2 to resolve is the water intrusion. Is there enough water in the hull to contact the driveshaft coupler? It's possible the water is hitting the coupler, effectively splashing and atomizing the water allowing it to be ingested. So, where is this water coming from? Thru-hull bearing? Cracked/torn hose? Pump shoe not sealed properly? Bad Exhaust gasket?

First and foremost, address the carb issues. Once that is done, keep the ski strapped to the trailer and back it in the water with the seat off. Use a light and look all through the hull to see if water is coming in. If no water enters, start the ski and again look for water. If you start to see it in the hull trace it back and find the source. If no water still comes in you need to look at seals and/or adjustment of the seat, front storage compartment, and other places where water can get in.

KJ

I have already rebuilt all 3 carbs and put a 2 output pump on it and am sure the fuel supply is fine as it runs Perfectly until you start launching the ski and the water starts sloshing around, in Wich case, I am sure this is happening because I can see the water in the spark arrestor/air box. It still runs, but after water gets into it the engine hesitates a little but after clearing out it runs perfect. The water isn't close to being high enough to hit the coupler and the amount of water is so small that nothing comes out of the ski when I pull the drain plug. I know that the water is coming through the hood as after riding it the tank and front of the ski is wet, and I am sure the Pump and what not are water tight as I checked them at the begenning of the season after redoing the pump and coupler. The issue is that any water in the hull is sloshing around and sPlashing into the 4 inch hole in the air box where the snorkel should be. I'm just racking my brain as I don't know how to get enough airflow into the motor with the restrictive snorkel in place/ or can't figure out how to get the rest of the water out as even a aftermarket bilge wouldn't pick it up.

Banned User
    +1
    If you are getting water in the intake you have too much water in the hull. How is your seat seal??? Find the cause of the water in the hull before you do anything else. That water you see in the air box could be condensation.

I dont think the seat is leaking, but it is more of the hood seal if anything. This thing has been upside down once in its life and that was a long time ago so i dont think massive amounts of water are the issue. I mean, technicaly, you dont want any water in the hull, but am I correct in saying that a little bit in the bottom of a 18 year old ski after an entire day of running is normal? how does one go about fixing a hood seal?

+1
    When the ski is on the trailer, pull the drain plug & tip the trailer up in the front till the water stops running out, any remaining water will be too little to affect operation of the motor, if more water come in again, you MUST fix this problem first, also what year is this 750, there were 2 "snorkels" used, the first very restrictive & midyear 1994 they went to a "1/2 snorkel" this was an update.

+1
    Also, very SAFELY take it for a ride with the seat off and run in all the way up the rpm range. Carefully take a look around while running it under load. It's sometimes possible to have a leak somewhere/in something that doesn't show until pump pressure builds.

Im gonna go run them tomarow and ill try running it w/o the seat. This thing has no more water in it then any other skis ive owned, and nothing comes out of the drain as ive said. This thing did not have a airbox lid or snorkel on it when i bought it and i found a lid and snorkel for it off some ski in a salvage yard, but when i put the snorkel on it the thing just chokes. The ski its self is a 1995 and until it gets a few dropps of water into the pto/center cylinder from the open hole where the snorkel should be, it runs fine. Again, i went through the hole pump a few times over after i dissasembaled it when the coupler blew apart last summer and im almost positive it is water tight, the hull is spotless and there is no way of water intrusion through cracks, etc. and the little water that is there shows up regardless of if it gets flipped or not, so im guessin that it is not the seat. Again, I think this is just a matter of missing parts and a poor design then the actual quantity of water in the hull, and any water that does splash around is making it into the carbs/intake. Does that updated snorkel look like the old 90 degree snout one, or does it have a diffrent shape?

Banned User
    +1
    Have you checked your carb settings. It's possible the previous owner ran it with the missing air box and adjusted the carbs to compensate. Putting the air box back on will make it much richer,due to restricting airflow.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Have you checked your carb settings. It's possible the previous owner ran it with the missing air box and adjusted the carbs to compensate. Putting the air box back on will make it much richer,due to restricting airflow.
    This is what I have been thinking too....... Is it possible the "water" you are seeing in the air box isn't fuel spitting out the top of the carbs??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information