Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taxes on purchasing used jet skis in TN

Going through a dealer I know they are going to charge me the taxes. What I am curious about is the taxes I would be paying if I bought from a private seller. How is it paid through to the goverment. They pull taxes when I go to get my registration through the Wildlife Dept? Live in Tennessee thanks for the help since i can't seem to find through google or searching on here.

+1
    dont quote me but when u go to court house to regester it u will pay ur taxes at that time. I think its 6% up to $6500 . Then it changes after that. Also u must have a bill of sales form that u must pick up from court hs first.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyfowens View Post
    Going through a dealer I know they are going to charge me the taxes. What I am curious about is the taxes I would be paying if I bought from a private seller. How is it paid through to the goverment. They pull taxes when I go to get my registration through the Wildlife Dept? Live in Tennessee thanks for the help since i can't seem to find through google or searching on here.
    Some reading for you. http://www.tn.gov/twra/boatregistrations.html

Taxes in TN on watercraft and boats are paid on NEW SALES ONLY unless they are purchased from a dealer used. For private transfers, a bill of sale is required to register the boat in your name and our from the other persons name (previous owner). They are registered via forms obtained from your LOCAL county clerks office. Read through the site above. It is a private transfer, no taxes will be paid as you are not titling or anything else other than registering with the TDWFP to operate on TN waters. Good Luck and read through the site above.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Some reading for you. http://www.tn.gov/twra/boatregistrations.html

Taxes in TN on watercraft and boats are paid on NEW SALES ONLY unless they are purchased from a dealer used. For private transfers, a bill of sale is required to register the boat in your name and our from the other persons name (previous owner). They are registered via forms obtained from your LOCAL county clerks office. Read through the site above. It is a private transfer, no taxes will be paid as you are not titling or anything else other than registering with the TDWFP to operate on TN waters. Good Luck and read through the site above.
    If u get it reg in tn u will pay tax on the price u paid or u will not get it reg doesent matter who u bought it from. U will need a bill of sale from the person u bought it from showing how much u paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    If u get it reg in tn u will pay tax on the price u paid or u will not get it reg doesent matter who u bought it from. U will need a bill of sale from the person u bought it from showing how much u paid.
    Yep, Kerry's right. I've always had to pay taxes on it. You'll definitely need the bill of sale. I wonder how many of the bill of sales actually have the right dollar amount on it though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Interesting. I never had to. I have had 2 skis and 1 boat registered there at Pickwick.

+1
    You will have to pay the taxes. The rates are dependant on what county you are registering it in. I just bough my RXP last year in a private sale and had to pay the 6% of the purchase price when I registered it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikesfan View Post
    You will have to pay the taxes. The rates are dependant on what county you are registering it in. I just bough my RXP last year in a private sale and had to pay the 6% of the purchase price when I registered it.
    Shelby county. I paid the registration fees only with the form I got from the local clerk. Never asked for my bill of sale. Maybe someone made a mistake. I still have the boat registered there and at the house in Pickwick. Sorry guys. I guess I beat the system without trying too. The skis are now registered in MS. The boat still in TN.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BTWard454 View Post
    Yep, Kerry's right. I've always had to pay taxes on it. You'll definitely need the bill of sale. I wonder how many of the bill of sales actually have the right dollar amount on it though.
    Nowadays if the "selling" price on the bill of sale is way lower than the"Bluebook" value, they will charge the tax rate on what the Bluebook value is unless you can prove that there is a problem, like blown engine or hull damage

+1
    Yea i always find away to prove my "steal of a deal" madison county is 6% also

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information