Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 15F Make over

Hi all well I had my 15F paint over and I helped preping, please note I have no paint work experience well It looked good and all but he is the errors I did.
    first we used two stage paint but because of the white we needed to use extra black or a primer.
    So we used primer then we had some metallic blue left over from a car he paint so we used that on top.
    Then the black but ran out and I mistakenly picked up single stage paint. So not sure what happened or when it went wrong but i removed the engine and it chipped the outside of the hull.
    So i figured i'd get all the dust off and sand the area down and do a little spot paint but when I blew the dust off the paint started to flack off .

So that leads me to this thread.

I've read up on this site and found a guy bow who seems to know what he talking about with painting PWC's.
    So I've decided to repaint it with gelcoat.
    So far i've peeled off as much as i could the started to sand it all back done to start back from the begining.
    I'm using so 50 grit as its the only this that can take off the black paint with ease.
    Once its all off I will followe with 150 grit then 220grit and lastly 320 grit.

I've found so far no primer is needed for gelcoat so thats sweet to know.
    I've purchased a quart of Ferro Exterior Gelcoat the Ultra Plus white and a tint that I need to mix it with to get the black and some hardner.
    I'm also thinking of roll and tipping it as I dont have a spray gun of good enough compressor to handle the steady pressure.

So I'm thinking of just dropping the whole little jar of black tint into the quart of gelcoat, the tint is like maybe 6-8 oz of it. Then adding a wax additive to ge the extra shine.
    Not sure how much of the additive to add but I guess or hope someone will advise me as whats best.

I will post some pics of oringinal condition the my mistake of a paint job then current state which is process of going back to the bare bone.

Here is the original state condition of the paint.

Here it is after we did the bad paint job that didn't stick on right.

This is all the paint that I was able to peel off with the air hose and a razer blade, awful I know

Oh yea here is were I've done my research as to how to paint and prep and he definetly stresses preping the job properly which will make for a better paint job.
    I'm prime example of a bad prep job and a bad choice in mixing different types of paint.
    I feel like homer Doh!
    Here is the link to his thread
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115794

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Didnt use wax and grease remover I am guessing, pick up some interlux brightsides paint. Its high gloss single stage and can be sprayed or brushed and its self leveling. Very easy to use and pretty cheap.

Sean

Thats regular paint i'm guessing right?
    I wanted to try the gelcoat as I hear its hardens better more scratch and chip resistant.
    I used H7 (its a degreaser strong stuff) after I wet sanded with 320grit sand paper. I also let dry in the hot Cayman sun for half a day then wiper it down before spraying but I think we might have used expired primer of the blue paint we used might have been bad also not sure but I'm paying the price for the extra elbow grease being put into the ski.

OK I've researched it and yea looks like the Interlux Brightsides paint is easier to use but you need primer to make it adhere and I'm not sure if they have that type of paint here on Island but I will call around and make sure.
    Also gonna call the Marine store I bought the paint from to see if they have the gelcoat in clear not in white as I think I will too many bottles to get the black I want.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    It sticks without the primer, That is what I used.

Sean

Even better I'm trying to limit the $$$$ on this paint job. So if it will stick with out primer even better. I love the part thats it "GLOSSY" cause with the stuff I bought they say it is but I can't find anything online about it like pros or cons on it. If i can't get the Interlux I will just get some wax additive and thin it out and roll her on and see what she looks like after tipping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information