Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Cool *** The Great 80+ MPH Grate test – Worx vs R&D – 2010 RXT-X 260 ***

To my knowledge no one has documented an 80+ MPH back to back test of the Worx and R&D grates. The R&D is the “speed grate” NOT the newer Closed Course version. My goal was to test the differences in hole shot, acceleration, handling, and overall top speed. I also wanted to see if I could make either grate BUCK me. Glade Rider did an outstanding test back when we were all running 70-75 mph – things have changed!!

I have run BOTH of these grates several times in the past and both to 81.4 MPH during the cooler weather, but never back to back. Mod’s are in my signature below and SPORT MODE activated on all passes.

Today’s weather: 81 deg F, DP 63 deg, Humidity 54%, 30.06, RAD 2242’, HP=98%, almost no wind with almost glass conditions

1st grate – R&D at least 8 passes run, fuel FULL used 2 bars

hole shot - is excellent, ever so slight cavitation with WOT, rpm peaked 8600-8700 rapidly
    acceleration - is outstanding
    handling - ski wants to pull to the right the faster you go (70+), tight turns good but not as good as stock or the WORX
    top speed - 81.2 mph gps at 8700 rpm

2nd grate – WORX at least 8 passes run, fuel starting down 2 bars

hole shot - excellent, no cavitation with WOT, rpm peaked 8560-8600
    acceleration - excellent BUT, noticeably LESS than the R&D
    handling - ski runs perfectly straight at all speeds, tight turns are noticeably better than the R&D grate
    top speed - 79.5 mph gps at 8600, couldn't get any higher

3rd test – ** R&D re-installed to check RPM, top speed, and handling again ** fuel ½ tank

hole shot - same as above but slightly better than the WORX
    acceleration - noticeably better than the WORX
    handling - again, ski wants to pull to the right accelerating above 70 mph
    top speed - 81.2 mph gps at 8660-8700 rpm

Bottom line:

BUCKING – I couldn’t make either grate buck! I tried several WOT to idle chops at 70, 75, and 80 mph with NO adverse effects. Maybe in chopper water the results might change.

The R&D outperformed the WORX at 80+ mph in every area but one - handling. It causes the ski to pull right, as many other Hulk members have reported. The attached photo shows how the R&D grate hangs down below the ride plate, is NOT flush like the WORX or stock, and the blades stick down below the hull further! This clearly acts as a rudder and accentuates the torque being generated at these high speeds. Just like on an outboard motor, a trim tab is required to compensate for the right hand rotation of the prop. I need to machine down the rear pad to fit flush up into the ride plate fitting and see if it can be straightened out to run straight. It will probably run faster and handle better.

The WORX is an excellent grate and performed very well, especially in handling, just not quite as good as the R&D overall. With today’s conditions is was 1.7 mph slower than the R&D. BUT, I ran this grate several times to 81.4 mph back in February and March.

Enjoy……….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg 
Views:	1214 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	268569

+1
    Good info JT. Both Scott and my Worx grates hang down as well but not as bad as the RD. Nothing a little milling can't fix though. We actually plan on doing a back to back as well once we machine both grates. I'm also going to
    Use the stock grate as well (not the iS but the regular grate). I have a feeling the stock grate will be the slowest with the lowest rpms but I want to see for myself . I had it up to 78 this past weekend and had no sign of bucking either but I also took it easy as i was still breaking in.

+1
    Nice job! This is exactly the way comparison tests should be done, thank you!

+1
    Excellent write up JT.

+1
    Nice write up. Since I have both grates and the ski is now running 80+ I'm going to install the R&D and see if I can pick up some speed. Keep you posted JT...

+1
    Very nice!

I plan on using the RD grate as well. I was in the process of having it milled to sit flush but I been didn't have time to finish

Nice job! JT

/Robert

+1
    Very good testing data. That's the way it should be done. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings with us.

+1
    Great info! While testing the R&D Grate and was above the 70 MPH mark having an issue with the Ski pulling to the right did you adjust the VTS to see if it would have an impact on it pulling to the right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by moultrie rxp View Post
    Great info! While testing the R&D Grate and was above the 70 MPH mark having an issue with the Ski pulling to the right did you adjust the VTS to see if it would have an impact on it pulling to the right?
    Yes, my ski performs best 2-3 notches below max. But I did try all settings from 1/2 up to max, still pulls right. Since the stock and Worx grates don't cause a pull to the right, clearly the R&D requires some machine work to sit flush and track straight.

I appreciate the good feedback, it makes it worth all the effort...........pass it on!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information