Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Bought my first PWC today: 2008 STX15F

Hell everyone. As the title says, I bought my first PWC today. It's a 2008 Kawasaki STX15F. I just had a few questions because I would like to do some routine maintenance before the season starts. I plan on just running Kawasaki oil with an OEM filter. I have a pump from my dad's old boat and a container to pump into. My question here is where is the oil filter? I looked today real quick with a flashlight but couldn't seem to find it.

Second, are there any How Tos related to hooking the ski up to a hose for running it in the driveway for a few minutes? I'd like to run the ski tomorrow for some time since it sat all winter and obviously make sure the oil is slightly warm before changing it.

Lastly, are there any How Tos related to changing the spark plugs? I plan on changing the spark plugs to avoid problems down the road.

Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase I have the same one.
    The oil filter is underneath the intake manifold by the front of the engine.
    Not sure on the how to's but the port to run the engine is next to the left outside mirror and visible once you open the hood. Jus get a garden hose adapter and attach your garden hose. Turn engine on let idle and then turn on water. Remember the engine must be turned on first and don't let it idle too long. Also adjust the water going through the engine to almost a trickle. This is stated on the service manual.
    The plug are the same as on any old engine remove plug wires and remove plugs. The plug gap should be 0.7-0.8mm (0.028-0.031in)
    Send me your email address and I can try to email you a PDF version of the Service manual.
    Good luck and have fun.

+1
    Thanks! I found a general How To for oil related to Kawasaki 4 strokes and figured out where the oil filter should be. I'll check it out tomorrow before I go to the dealership in case I need to buy something extra (like one of those oil filter removal tools). I found the hose attachment as well, I'll just have to remember to turn the engine on before the water. How long can the engine run without water? I PM'd you my email address.

Can't run it that long cause you can and will cause internal engine damage like over heating it.
    I'd say turn it on, make sure she stays on idling walk over and turn on the water, but also make sure not have it gush through the engine just a little more than a trickle. Also be sure to turn water off before turning off engine as water can back up into engine and cause internal damage.
    I just sent you the service manual look it over it will tell you all you need to know and what to look out for.
    Also see this link as they have lots of ideas as to minor performance mods available.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105268

+1
    Got it. Thanks!!

Edit: Can you run the ski for a while with the water hooked up?

From what I understand yes cause the water will keep the engine cool.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    It can use a little more than a trickle of water....water needs to be coming out the pisser in a decent stream.......

+1
    Congratulations! Good 'Ski, you'll have a lot of fun with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Congratulations! Good 'Ski, you'll have a lot of fun with it.
    Thanks! I've learned a lot in the past few weeks. I've been reading non-stop in attempt to make a smart purchase and now learn about my ski.

I went to the local dealership today and bought Kawasaki marine oil, a new oil filter, and 4 NGK spark plugs. When I got home I pulled the dip stick out to find oil that looks almost brand new. I never asked the original owner when it was last changed but this stuff looks good as new. I decided to skip the oil change and I'll bring everything back tomorrow. Does that sound like a bad idea?

I also successfully ran the ski, turned the water on, ran the ski with water flowing, and then turned it off. I took off the old numbers because it needed new ones anyway. While I was at it, I took a few other stickers off. I think it looks a lot cleaner now.

I planned taking care of everything I did (or didn't need to do) today and then address the hull issue (if it is one). I would like to know what you guys think. Is it an issue? If so, what should I do? Is there a simple way to patch the areas that need it or do I need to fiberglass, sand, and paint? I'd rather avoid that if I could. The last time I painted was my 2008 ZX6R and it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth.

Here are some pictures of the damage.

Right side:

Front:

Bottom:

Intake:

Please let me know what you guys think about that damage. Thanks again!!

I'd say do the service either way least then you will have a start date and hours of the new oil, versus the oil thats been sitting might have been sitting for over a year. Plus you don't know what type of oil they put in.
    Anything i purchase with an engine I always change the oil and tune it up so I have a starting point to keep track of but thats just me.
    The hull I say repair those chips of small gashes as they will be under water and while riding over time the gelcoat can start to spread separate or worsen. I'm sure their are guys here that will tell you exactly what might happen if its not addressed. On the up side of it with you lack of body repair skills it wont have to look perfect as it will be under water which is a plus. Might have to just fill with expoxy resign sand down and prob add a little gel coat to the area to cover the repair and seal it from water getting into the fiber glass.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information