Thread: plug read

+1

plug read

this picture is taken after 10 gallon break in for a yamaha SUV. I think it is rich as it have some black oil on it..... any suggestion?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120411plugread.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	268607

+1
    Maybe a little, but isnt it always good to run a little rich during break in?

+1
    Yes, should start of rich, but I think it is too rich for me as the ski idle all right but will bog from20mph to 30mph unless I feather the throttle thought it. Then will run fine in the hi speed. Any suggestion?

You ran 32:1 pre-mix right? If so... +2 on the rich being normal. 20 oz of oil per 5 gallons v 13 oz is a pretty sizable markup.

My bud and I are taking his 04 SUV out this Saturday on Lake Livingston to do his break-in (full rebuild) so I'll chime in any similar findings on the bogging issue.

On your tripple Mikuni's, did you adjust the middle high speed 1/4 turn more than the others like the manual says? I thought that had something to do with a "mid-range" adjustment issue with the one being slightly different. Anyway, keep us posted!

+1
    yes, since i did a full rebuild too, i adjust every thing according to the manual. My question is that it is already rich and according to some members here chaging to premix I should give all the needle 1/4 turn. wouldn't that be even richer?

Banned User
    +1
    Adding oil to the gas will make the afr lean not rich. more oil leaner it is ,less oil richer.common mistake. Looks like plugs that were removed after riding around in the midrange or idel. Has almost nothing to tell u the tune of the engine. Hold it wide open then hit the kill button plugs will look very different and tell more whats going on in the combustion process. All these plugs say is enough gas and oil. at idle. same thing can be deduced more accurately by how it idels and runs in the miderange. Get a mukiney (sp) manuel to explain how to tune carbs correctly. I almost never read plugs. If the motor is tuned correctly the plugs will look right,if ur looking at a plug to give that information its too late.

+1
    mukiney (sp) manuel
    where can I get this manual?

Banned User
    +1
    mikuni do google search that is the correct spelling carborators for watercraft

+1
    Ic, thanks

Thread Information