+1

DJSA 2012 Outlaw Series - Race #1 Antioch Ca - Results / Video / Pics / Comments

DJSA official race results
    Race #1 – Antioch – 4/7/2012

50 bonus points awarded to every racer
    Heat 1 results break any ties

X-2 Army
    Place-racer-city-ski-heat results-total points earned
    1) C.Sims – Lk Elsinore – kaw – 1,2 – 110
    2) D.Wolff – Modesto – kaw – 2,1 – 103
    3) T.Yamamoto – Livermore – kaw – 3,5 – 98
    4) JJ.Hickey Jr – Grass Valley – kaw – 4,4 – 93
    5) J.Wilson – Granite Bay – kaw – 6,6 – 89 (intern)
    6) J.DelaRosa – Concord – kaw – 10,3 – 86
    7) J.Wenzel – Wildomar – kaw – 7,9 – 83 (nov)
    J.Dewar – Concord – kaw – 8,8 – 80
    9) J.Younger – Pittsburg – kaw – 9,7 – 77 (nov)
    10) T.Greene – Fresno – kaw – 5,dns – 74
    11) J.Barton – Pittsburg – kaw - dnf,dns – 72
    12) R.Gray – Los Gatos – kaw – scratch – 0

550 JS open standup
    1) R.Gray – Los Gatos – kaw – 1,1 – 93

750 / 650 open standup
    1) M.Lojewski – Davis – yam – 1,1 – 103
    2) J.Eddy – Oakley – yam – 2,2 – 98
    3) D.Ross – Tracy – kaw – 3,4 – 93 (nov)
    4) D.Milina – Oakley – yam – 4,3 – 89 (nov)

800 novice standup
    1) N.Tate – Valley Springs – kaw – 1,3 – 110
    2) E.Templeton – Redding – kaw – 2,2 – 103 (intern)
    3) K.Araiza – San Ramon – kaw – 3,1 – 98 (intern)
    4) R.Haag – Modesto – kaw – 4,4 – 93
    5) E.Stegman – Antioch – kaw – 5,5 – 89

Legends 40
    Inactive

850 expert open standup
    1) I.Roberts – Sparks –kaw – 1,2 – 110
    2) P.Zernik – Sacramento – kaw – 2,6 – 103
    3) J.Loder – Roseville – kaw – 8,1 – 98 (int)
    4) C.Wattier – Sacramento – kaw – 3,7 – 93
    5) J.Gardemeyer – Wilton – kaw – 5,5 – 89 (int)
    6) R.O’Sullivan – Livermore – yam – 7,3 – 86 (int)
    7) B.Schembri – Loomis – kaw – 4,8 – 83
    T.Pagen – Gardnerville – kaw – 6,9 – 80
    9) J.Troegner – Watsonville – kaw – dnf,4 – 77

FAST STAND open GP
    1) I.Roberts – Sparks – kaw – 1,2 – 110
    2) J.Troegner – Watsonville – kaw – 2,1 – 103
    3) P.Zernik – Sacramento – kaw – 4,5 – 98
    4) B.Schembri – Loomis – kaw – 5,4 – 93
    5) T.Pagen – Gardnerville – kaw – 6,3 – 89
    6) C.Wattier - Sacramento – kaw – 3,7 – 86
    7) J.Dixon – Rocklin – kaw – 7,6 – 83

800 Runabout expert
    1) D.Janeway – Redding – yam – 1,3 – 103
    2) R.O’Sullivan – Livermore – yam – 2,2 – 98
    3) P.Mallari – Brisbane – seadoo – 3,1 – 93
    4) A.Angeles – Daly City – seadoo – 4,4 – 89
    5) JJ.Hickey Jr – Grass Valley – pol – scratch – 0

Sport Sit 1200 GP expert
    1) T.Yamamoto – Livermore – yam – 2,1 – 110
    2) C.Sims – Lake Elsinore – kaw – 3,2 – 103
    3) N.Yee – Sacramento – yam – 1,5 – 98
    4) J.Arluck – San Jose – seadoo – 4,4 - 93 (nov)
    5) J.Gardemeyer – Wilton – yam – 5,3 – 89

Sprint Sit 1300 open
    1) D.Wolff – Modesto – kaw – 1,1 – 98
    2) C.Cottle – Oakley – yam – 2,3 – 93
    3) R.Ignacio – Eldorado Hills – yam – 3,2 – 89

SCXP Supersit open expert
    1) M.Mendez – Oakley – kaw – 2,2 – 110
    2) M.Habel – Discovery Bay – kaw – 1,4 – 103
    3) M.Saale – Incline – seadoo – 4,1 – 98
    4) B.Booker – Loomis – kaw – 3,3 – 93
    5) J.Fuller – Pleasanton – kaw – 5,5 – 89
    6) G.Lasiter – Modesto – yam – scratch - 0

X-treme 550 all out
    inactive

Junior match racing
    not run at antioch

LOTS MORE TO COME, Lots of people to thank, lots of race and freestyle action to highlight, but first - all I need is 8 hours sleep for the first time this week! In the meantime, talk it up. Its the only way we can learn how to make things better for you. From my viewpoint despite the many unexpected setbacks, what I saw was an awesome race day that a whole lotta spectators were digging and it ended up being an awesome way to start the 2012 season.

I'll end with this thought before my eyes close for good....
    Each and everyone of you racers are BLESSED with having the incredible race staff you do working to put these races on for you, and the more you remind them how much you appreciate their efforts - the more chance we have of keeping them around (like maybe forever!)

The guys in Orange -
    BJ Lovan, Raul Gutierrez, Alec Chattaway, and the generous help and course security provided by Chris Lauritzen

The girls in Orange -
    Steph, Doreen, Mandy, and Maria

The hard working ground crew efforts of
    Rick Robson, Doug Wolff, and some unexpected and much appreciated help from Sims, Wenzel, Dewar, DelaRosa, and Joe Chat

5 star solo effort announcing from Jason Psycho Ward who roasted in the sun all day while keeping everyone fired up...

Pics by Traci Cottle and Mariah Zernik - and that awesome dual screen video livestream provided by Rick Ignacio.

Exec chef Jill Drexel keeping the crew and the racers smiling,

The Ski Clinic Team for keeping our old and worn out safety skis running like new, and for AMAZING hundreds of spectators with some spectacular freestyle exhibitions!

The USCG,
    the City of Antioch.
    Leland Insurance,
    JETTRIBE,
    Redline Oil
    Muscle Milk
    Inland Marine,
    Home Depot
    Les Schwab
    Stellhorn Racing

And to all of you who made me nothing but proud on and off the water.
    The racing was incredible. The freestyle was amazing. The site was spotless when everyone left, and all of you made a whole lot of people go home with big smiles on their faces...

You guys are amazing, and I sincerely thank you for the favorable impression you made at a new venue.
    Once again, I take my hat off to all of you!!!

jim

It was great to see the handful of rookie ribbons out there for the first race of the year. I'm sure there will be more new blood in the mix next race. As for location - a great spectator spot especially as there were spectators and not just racers/racers' families and I don't know about anyone else, but this was the first time I could hear Jason's commentary as I was racing, maybe my engine isn't loud enough, but it was a trip.

I had fun, the crowd had fun, thank you to all of the staff & crew who made it come together & sweated it out & kept the course in place. Thank you Jim for making it happen, I hope you got some sleep.

Thank goodness it was a sunny & windless day. Next time I will bring sunscreen!

Cat

Why so quiet in here?

Banned User
    +1
    for some reason this site hasnt caught on.... IMO far better then pwc but who am i?!

+1
    First things first,,,,

Thanks to all of you for a great day of racing. I asked for your help in making a good impression at a new race site and its safe to say you guys far exceeded that request and hit it out of the park!!! On behalf of the city, I thank you racers and the Ski Clinic freestyle team, for the incredible impact you made on a whole lot of people who dug the show... Yes, we had a few glitches to overcome but you guys rolled with it and raced safe and hard all day long. For that I take my hat off to you all and I thank you.

A few people have inquired why the 1st heat of the day was used as a tie breaker, and not the last heat of the day which we usually implement to break any ties. Simple answer - fairness. I was without our all pro startline and staging official so I made the decision to use rolling starts to keep things simple. To go with the rolling starts, we were supposed to have time trials to have you earn your heat 1 start position, you would invert positions in heat 2, and your scores from 1 and 2 would decide where you started in heat 3.
    Simple in theory - but not so with the raging current of the San Joaquin river.

What ended up happening was you guys running a long heat 1 where I randomly assigned start slots. Heat 2 start positions were inverted, and the heats were much shorter. Up until 4pm we were all set to roll with a 3 heat day, but that changed about the time the 850 experts were delayed 45 minutes while team orange battled with the river to get the course to stay in place. Our permit gave us running rights until 5pm but thankfully Chris Lauritzen advised them of the situation and they granted us another hour to wrap things up. Unfortunately hopes for a 3rd heat floated down the river with the current as our main focus was to get 10 classes through a 2nd heat. We got through heat 2 and ended the day at 6:15. I told the girls the fairest thing to do was to make heat 1 the tie breaker because that was the longest and most difficult race of the day.

Just to add another gut kick to the day, the computer scored the races with the 2nd race of the day as the tie breaker and that wasn't going to work for me. I looked at the score sheets that needed to be redone, and I looked at all the time trial awards I had made that we now weren't going to be handing out, and finally I looked at team orange breaking their backs trying to pull buoys in 65 feet of water - and the priority then became one of helping the team load up as soon as possible.

I was asked why the heat 1 tie breaker decision wasn't announced at the riders meeting, and that's because when we had the riders meeting we had been planning on running 3 heats for you and it wasn't an issue at the time.

I was asked why Jason couldn't have announced the decision prior to the 2nd heats starting so that the racers would know ahead of time - and again the answer is because I hadn't made that decision yet.

Finally I was asked by a racer why he had been scored the way he was, because the dude ahead of him had missed 2 buoys. Apparently the dude that had missed the buoys had even told this other racer "I can't believe I won cuz I missed 2 buoys!" Let me say this about that.... We're outlaws, but we're good outlaws who look out for each other, and even though we don't do things like "the other guys" you are all on the honor system out there and if you miss a buoy and don't get called on it by team orange, I expect you to take the penalty buoys on your own, or come up to me afterwards and say hey I blew it. I'll adjust the scores accordingly, but me finding out about these things 4 days after the fact is a little on the bogus side - just my opinion folks.

I ask a lot from you guys... I ask you to race safe and race hard, I ask you to be cool with your fellow racers and watch out for each other. I ask you you to always try your best, and to be your best, and that doesn't mean you have to always "be the best". Winning doesn't mean anything if you did it with cheating. Winning doesn't mean anything if you've got way too much attitude and people can't stand being around you.

Being a winner means if you missed a buoy and didn't get called on it you come up to me and say hey Jim - I blew it. Its your honesty and credibility that makes you a winner regardless of where you finish.

Being a winner is understanding when I have to make imprompt decisions out of fairness for the entire group and rolling with it. If you honestly believe that it would have been fair for me to use the 2nd heat of the day as a tie breaker, where the start positions were inverted and not earned for a heat with a handful of laps - then I'm thinking theres a little too much focus on "winning" and not enough on the true meaning of racing and personally - I'm thinking things go a whole lot more smoothly when your focus is on racing...

I'll deal with the permits and the insurance,
    I'll deal with staffing issues and course design,
    I'll deal with all the stress and complications,
    I'll take the rap for everything that goes wrong,
    I'll even rent friggin porta potties and the nifty hand washing station I didn't even get a chance to use,
    but all I'll ever ask you to do - is just go out and race.

Don't worry about the scoring - I'll do that. Just go out and race. Instead of being pissed that someone missed a buoy and won the race, how about trying talking to the dude right after the race with something like "hey jim, cool race but you know you missed that red buoy on the backside right? I might say something like "I did?" or I might say something like "ya know, I thought I did but they didn't call it so I just kept going"...

The bottomline is what goes around comes around. If team orange doesn't catch a buoy miss, rest assured one of your fellow racers will and if I was on that line with you guys the thing most important to me would be having all your respect and trust. I hope thats the most important thing to you as well.

In looking back this is what should have been done to compensate for not having Stan the Man on the start dock keeping order.

I should have triple bricked every buoy which would have resulted in your having an extra 3 hours of race time, but my thoughts were on how much work it takes to pull up 80 feet of line with triple bricks attached and I tried to shortcut the workload for the guys in orange. For that I apologize.

When the realization set in we could only run 2 heats I should have made start heat 2 positions based on a random draw but again without Stan there, and from my position at the far end of the event site, there was no way to execute that. Instead of confusing things even more, I held onto the hopes we could pull off a heat 3 but that last 45 minute delay did us in. For that I apologize.

I know how much you guys like having an awards ceremony, and we even had DJSA Amy onhand looking awesome as always, but with ending late, guys heading home, having to rescore the results, and having 15 awards for time trials and fast laps of the day that were never run - well that fizzled out too and for that - I apologize.

On the bright side -
    You guys put on an incredible show of racing, and I will never forget all those spectators packed onto the pier and along the Humphreys deck cheering on all you outlaws in every class, and hearing their reaction to the Ski Clinic's incredible freestyle exhibition. Seeing those guys out there flying through the air reminded me of when I was ready to fold 6 years ago at Big Break but somehow Derrick and John talked me into sticking with it and when I saw all those spectators, and saw how cool the pits looked with all your setups the public was checking out - all I could do was shake my head and say "wow".

By 8pm everything was loaded up ready to take home and all I could do was look at the ground crew and say "wow".

At 820 I was driving the safety skis home and the City Event Coodinator called to say thanks for an awesome show and wanted to know when we want to come back. All I could do was think of each and everyone one of you who conducted yourselves like true pros all day long and say "wow".

Finished unloading at 11pm and took a very much needed hot shower and then remembered I had to get up at 7am for work the next day and all I could do was shake my head and say "oh crap".

Don't remember going to sleep that night because I was so exhausted, and waking up the next morning was definately an unpleasant ordeal... but to bring that Lambert smile back to my face all I had to do was think of all you guys and the incredible show you had just put on - and then it became very easy to smile and just say... "wow".

Got two words for you guys before we start getting ready for race 2 at CFW...
    "Wow" and "Thanks" You have no idea just how amazing you all are, but I'll bring around for a long time and a lot more Caffinos to remind you of that.

I won't be able to make Parker because I'll be trying to hammer down some things in Reno, but I wish all you outlaws the best for a safe race, and regardless of where you finish I hope you always remember you're all winners to me.... jes sayin

and in regards to Parker, as KT always says - "GET SOME"!!!

Stay safe you guys,

JL

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yami95 View Post
    It was great to see the handful of rookie ribbons out there for the first race of the year. I'm sure there will be more new blood in the mix next race. As for location - a great spectator spot especially as there were spectators and not just racers/racers' families and I don't know about anyone else, but this was the first time I could hear Jason's commentary as I was racing, maybe my engine isn't loud enough, but it was a trip.

I had fun, the crowd had fun, thank you to all of the staff & crew who made it come together & sweated it out & kept the course in place. Thank you Jim for making it happen, I hope you got some sleep.

Thank goodness it was a sunny & windless day. Next time I will bring sunscreen!

Cat

Why so quiet in here?
    Cat -
    You guys were awesome in the Sprint class, and that finish in heat 2 had some roaring going on from that spectator pier!!! That was friggin intense... Yes I got some sleep but it didn't do me too much good on sunday. We were going down the river on my patrol boat (that NOBODY drives except for me) and after I caught myself drifting off at the wheel 3 times and forgetting where we were, I stopped the boat and told Tommy "it's all yours dude, I'm dying!"

He just looked at me, shook his head in annoyance, and said -
    "Seriously?" "Really?" "Really?"

Here's 5 words... thank God for good partners!
    jes sayin

Jim,

Just got a visual of a nice quiet sunny spring afternoon on the delta. Birds chirping with a slight breeze. As I'm sitting along the shore, all of a sudden, the S.O. boat floats by adrift, with two deputies fast asleep...LOL.

But yea thank god for partners and/or trainees because we've all been there. You sir had a valid reason for sure.

Thread Information