Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Stage 3 done, need more.. best route to 80+?

Hey guys... long time semi-lurker, irregular poster.

We looked at buying a new pair of RXP-X's this year, but I couldn't justify the price difference with what we paid for our current pair (REID2168's old 2008 RXPX and a mint 2009 RXTX) a couple of years ago. I figured for less than we'd pay to trade one of them in, I could make both a hell of a lot faster.

My RXPX already had a JD1 prv, 2* wedge, vts extension rod, the ride plate holes filled (all from when REID2168 had it), riva front intake, OPAS blockoffs, r&d grate, riva ic kit, 83mm nozzle and 15/22R prop.

It'd do consistent low 70s, but the SC was slipping a bit, so I sent it off to Jerry to get rebuilt and upgraded to the XX at the same time. At the same time, I added a Riva RRFPR, pro sponsons, pro opas blockoffs, and riva thru-hull rear exhaust.

I tested it out on the lake we live on this past Sunday - it was windy as hell with gusts > 20mph going across the water, but managed a best of 78.1mph at 8140rpm. Was pretty sketchy, as there was chop and the wind was blowing the thing around at speed.

Yesterday, it was calmer (consistent 18mph winds, so not much chop) so I took it out for another few tries. Wind was blowing diagonal across the water, so it was either coming at me from my left or right. A few runs with a best of 76.5mph... came back to my dock and flashed the ECU with the vtech tuner and the 8400rpm tune.

The tune made a noticeable difference in acceleration - it feels much stronger now. Did four runs, each time between 78.5 and 78.8 at around 8300-8340 rpm two notches above center on VTS with 2-3 bars of fuel.

I'm hoping this weekend the wind is a bit calmer so I can try again. My next step is the valvetrain upgrade and a rear air kit (both should be here tomorrow) so I can go to 8600rpm, followed by an innovate mtx-l to monitor AFRs and get the tune dialed in. My goal is to get to consistent 80+.

Is it time to start tweaking the prop, and if so, is it realistic to hope to get another mph or so out of it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

get another tuning credit from v-tech and reflash your ECU for 8800 rpms buy the racing valve springs kit pitch your prop and you will be doing 80mph in no time...

The tuning credit was per VIN - I've got the higher RPM tune ready to go as soon as the valve springs are in.

Looks calmer today - might try again after work. Was also thinking of trying the 81mm ring today to see how that works. With the prv, I'm guessing it'll be ok. I've chopped the throttle at 75+ and never had any signs of overstuffing...

Found the memory card to my gopro, so planning on trying for video.

Ryan

+1
    Great speeds! I would think with calmer weather you may have 80mph in the bag. Watch that 81mm nozzle, all (or most) posts say that is flirting with a very bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by szt8b7 View Post
    Great speeds! I would think with calmer weather you may have 80mph in the bag. Watch that 81mm nozzle, all (or most) posts say that is flirting with a very bad day.
    I read the same thing but thought that there wasn't as much risk once you had a proper prv setup. I'm with you in thinking the key might be calmer weather (or even a tailwind)... the crosswinds suck above 75.

Banned User
    +1
    Before thinking the valvetrain route, how are things underneath? Holes filled? Plate and grate good?

Right now you might want to think about a ride plate, as your current speed is on the untouched oem plate. 2-3mph in that area at same rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Before thinking the valvetrain route, how are things underneath? Holes filled? Plate and grate good?

Right now you might want to think about a ride plate, as your current speed is on the untouched oem plate. 2-3mph in that area at same rpm.
    Holes filled, plate sanded, R&D grate drilled filed, and fitted. Seems easier to do the valves than the ride plate...

Banned User
    +1
    Even though you bought the tuner, there is still speed to be found in the hull.

Based on your first post, you passed 78 with the stock ecu. You still stayed in the 78's when you gained 200 rpm. Something don't make sense. It could have been weather, who knows.

Bumping rpm is not always the solution. More rpm's put more stress on motor and items.

Ride plate vs. Valvetrain, that's a wash cost wise. Ride plate you also gain handling all around. Valvetrain gives you peace of mind.

Just think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Even though you bought the tuner, there is still speed to be found in the hull.

Based on your first post, you passed 78 with the stock ecu. You still stayed in the 78's when you gained 200 rpm. Something don't make sense. It could have been weather, who knows.

Bumping rpm is not always the solution. More rpm's put more stress on motor and items.

Ride plate vs. Valvetrain, that's a wash cost wise. Ride plate you also gain handling all around. Valvetrain gives you peace of mind.

Just think about it.
    Good point on the plate - as much as I'm just chasing a number right now, I do spend more time tearing around a course we set up than going for sheer top speed. I figured the valvetrain is a good idea, regardless, just to help prevent anything from happening.

Just emailed Erik at SFR.

Ryan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanITV View Post
    I read the same thing but thought that there wasn't as much risk once you had a proper prv setup.
    You should never run anything smaller than a 83mm nozzle on a RXPX, reguardless of PR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information