Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage i wont start

Hi All,

I am finally getting around to fixing my ski this year after it died on me last year. I took it out late last summer and it began bogging down while I was on the water. I was barely able to get it back to the ramp. Now it won't even start or idle. It will crank and the engine will turnover but it will not "catch" and idle. If it does it will immediatly backfire and die.

So far I have replaced the battery (twice) and replaced the TPS. It appears to be getting spark and I did a fuel pressure test on the schrader valve and got +20lbs.

A friend of mine seems to think the EMM is bad. I took that out and there is a "bubble" under the film that protects it. I wanted to see what you guys think? DFI quoted me $610 plus shipping.

Thanks, Trevor

Send it to DFI. They'll test it. If it's OK, they will only charge you to ship it back. If it's bad, they'll fix it, of course.

So it took a bit but I finally got my EMM back from DFI. They confirmed that it was a bad capacitor along with 10 other things and repaired it for me. However, when I put it back into the ski it still wont start. It sounded like it wanted to at first but soon died after running for about 2 seconds.

It seems like the starter may be going because it is making an awful squeal every once and a while when I try to turn it over. I have tried 2 different fully charged and new batteries with no luck.

Any ideas?

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure you have 20+ volts on the white/red strip wire going to the injectors. Dont unplug them. Get a meter that can peirce the wire. 20+ volts while cranking, 45+ when running.
    Take out and clean your CPS.
    Try a different MFD if available, otherwise connect two wires together (colors are in the service manual, purple and black I think)
    Make sure battery voltage is 10+ volts when cranking over.
    Test your stator, directions are in the FAQ

These should get you running again...

Well more bad news unfortunately. I took a look at the bendix and it is missing some teeth where it meets the starter. It looks like those are pretty easy to find and relatively inexpensive. The thing that I am finding a harder time locating is a new fly wheel and stator. Those are both shot. When I took it out I saw one of the magnets loose and a big chunk missing out of another. Does anyone know where I can get some affordable ones or does any one have replacements that I can buy from them at a resonable price?

Thanks, Trevor

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Look for the much better MSX140 version of the flywheel. 12 magnets instead of 6, newer design and more reliable. All six magnet Ficht flywheels will also work, of course.

All Ficht stators are the same specification. Genesis FFI, Virage i or Virage TXi or MSX 140 stator will fit and work.

Check the CPS while you are in there. If it is damaged from metal debris then replace it.

Also have a look at the MAG crank seal for possible seal damage from debris/grit.

Thanks for the help k447... After looking at the stator and seeing that only 1 of the sodered ends had damage I was able to fix it on my own with my handy iron. I just ordered the flywheel and bendix today so hopefully this is it. If it doesnt run I may be out of ideas...

I have a 2002 polaris genisis i that want start unless u spray starter fluid in the throttle boddies. Once you spay them i runs fine. Any help would be great. Steve

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pierceboy1972 View Post
    I have a 2002 polaris genisis i that want start unless u spray starter fluid in the throttle boddies. Once you spay them i runs fine. Any help would be great. Steve
    Sounds like the classic EMM failure with low injector voltage during cranking. Sometimes caused by bad stator or flywheel but more often the EMM needs repair.

See my signature links Ficht section for more info.

Installed the new fly wheel and bendix. When I first went to start it it actually ran for about 15 seconds then conked out. After that it wouldn't fire again. Im running low on ideas for what else it could be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information