Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 GSX Limited throttle problems

I got this bike from a friend this winter. It has a weird problem with acceleration. If you hold the rpm's at 3500-3800 it will start missing and die. It cranks fine and idles up to 2500 rpm fine. If you gun it or at least get up to 5000 rpm it is fine. He told me it started this after he had Perry Performance rebuild and reject it. The jets don't seem too far off for what it is.
    Here is the specs as it is set now.
    Main jet 165, pilot jet 77.5, Carbs have been synchronized, the high needle is set to 0 turns out on both, the low needle set to 1 1/4 turns out on both. I siphoned all the gas out and but fresh super in. The carbs have prok air breathers on them. It was my understanding that you have to rejet to run them
    i have tried messing with the low needles some. It is decent down to 1 turn out then too lean at idle. Same is decent till 1 1/2 out then too rich. Also when though the throttle cable adjustment procedure per the manual.

My assumptions are that it it running out of fuel in the half throttle position. Only thing I did not try was cracking opened the high needle.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

+1
    try 85 piolets and 167.5 mains. 1 1/2 turn on LS adjusters and 1/2 on the HS adjusters and make sure that the accelerator pump is pumping fuel to both carbs.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    l/s are for idle tune only,and if your running proks and ethanol based fuel then you need to be rich and check that pop off pressure for approx 19-22 psi

+1
    Did you change the fuel lines? Or stil have the gray ones? If yes also check the fuel valve. I once repair a gtx top end and when did the water test it still was low on fuel . Found a restricted fuel valve meaning less fuel when the carbs demand.

Just my two cents.

+1
    Other thing you can do to test is if you had a primer installed when the craft starts to die pump it to see if it wakes up. If still have the choke same thing pull it a little and see if gets better.

+1
    I think your high speed circuit is partially blocked , it becomes dislodged at higher revs and allows fuel past but at lower revs it wont. I feel it is fuel related as the carbs transfers from low to high circuit. Check the carbs for foreign objects , sometimes it can be a tiny the particle that is blocking the fuel.

+1
    he has open flame arresters on a pretty much stock jetted carbs. His jetting is NOT correct, but there may be other areas as grey fuel lines, sediment bowl and selector switch...

The fuel lines have all been replaced. The carbs were very clean when I pulled the jets to find out the size. It appears they had been bumped up one size from stock. I ordered the jets Jim recommended today.
    The accelerator pump is pumping gas very well. The only think I did not check was the gap on the pump. I'll check that when I install the jets.

The jets was my first thought but I wanted to be sure this was not a common problem that was not a jet. I am an old Polaris guy and new to the Seadoo.

Thanks for the replies.

have you tried trimming back the plug wires, sounds exactly like an issue i had and spent days on

Got the jets in and it is much better. It will still bog down but will pick back up instead of dieing. Goging to order the next size jet up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information