Unhappy polaris 1997 sltx 1050, multiple problems? or one? any help appreciated

Hello,

I recently bought my first jet ski, took it out on the river close by and it seemed to run ok, running a little rough but not bad. thought maybe just needed to run a bit to clear it out (had been setting for a year when i got it) so it took off and ran really good for several miles and i slowed down to idle and it died. i was able to start it up after a bit by playing with the throttle and cranking it. so went a ways farther and pulled up on shore. set for a bit and it wouldnt start, tried everything up til the battery died. So a friendly tow back by "seatow" (highly reccommend) and i decided to do a little work on it before going out again.
    I replaced the battery, plugs, cleaned fuel filter(done that before as well)
    I adjusted the idle to 1250 out of the water. So we took it to the water again.

put it in the water and it didnt want to iddle in the water so adjusted the idle to 1200 in water. took off and it accelerated great, ran for a 1/2 mile and dropped to idle and it died. Was able to crank it finally and it was missing

i can work the throttle and get it to plane out and run about 20mph but it still missing.

I have tried this three times and it does the same thing. Starts out on the initial run fine, then when i go to idle it cuts off and misses after that.
    I am sure i have a carb issue and will look for a shop to rebuild/clean the carbs. but with it missing im not sure if the carbs will cause this or not? or if i have another issue other than the carbs?

Any advice or input is appreciated

+1
    Did you get this ski from Land O Lake by any chance? Just wondering if that's the same ski I looked at

Sounds like your carbs may have gotten clogged up by rotten stuffs from either fuel line or gas tank.
    Does light on LCD flash when this happen? Could be your cooling got clogged too.

Didnt get it from LOL, got it from Tavaras.
    I dont think the cooling is clogged because it will run several miles at wot on the initial run, with the motor staying cool. But after that initial run after i drop to idle it wont run without missing and having to feather the throttle. But even then the motor stays cool.
    It just dont make sense to me why it will run fine that one run and then go to crap?
    Do you know any local shop around tampa that does good carb work?
    Thanks

Oh and yes the led flashes "sometimes" but not all times and doesnt give a fault

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenc View Post
    Do you know any local shop around tampa that does good carb work?
    Thanks
    I know a couple that do carb but I don't know about good carb work
    I'd rather trust my own work, if you're close and willing to do the wrenching, I can give you few pointers.

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like ignition system to me. Check to see if the update has been done.

my 99 polaris slth 700 does the same thing. Just a bear to restart after the stall. Thought I was going to swim home. Still looking for the problem. I still feel its a fuel issue because when it goes it goes just for a very short time then the battery and starter are going to take a beating to get it going again. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the gray fuel line, I think there is a small filter on the fuel pickup tube in the gas tank. Going to check that as well.
    One other note, on land hooked up to a garden hose it runs fine. But its not under a load like in the water. Not sure if that means anything. I have a manual and the list is endless as far as what the problem could be. But thats what you get when you buy used. You have to undue the previous owners mistakes.

Thread Information