How much speed and hookup is this costing me!

Hey guys, basically i was on a killer timeline to put a ski together and half assed the shoe install. Stupid , i know. Anyway, can the gurus take a look at my pics and give me some advise on shoe alignment. The right side of the shoe is sitting higher than the left , and the enitire shoe seems very high and offset looking through the tunnel. the front of the shoe is about also higher than the rear. The rear of the shoe needs to be sealed in as well. I will be pulling it all back out and doing it correctly , but I need to make sure its right.

Feels like a ton of drag on the ski over 73 and I obviously am getting cavitation. gonna fix this and go from there.

any input is appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-13_18-43-32_338.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	268740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-13_18-40-35_305.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	268741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-13_18-44-21_468.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	268742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-13_18-43-55_929.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	268743  

+1
    First off, dont use the ride plate to gauge the shoe... always go by the hull, then match the ride plate to the shoe after its properly installed.

Use a 2' level on the hull, and find a level spot in front of the shoe, then hang the level to the end of the shoe. I use several thicknesses of pre-measured washers to use as feeler gauges to check the depth of the shoe... front and back on both sides. Do a dry run with the plug kit installed to get correct shoe placement. Clean the shoe and mounting area as good as possible. Always remember you want the shoe as far back as possible, and grind on the shoe for desired fitment-not the hull.

+1
    also make sure the transom plate is up against all 3 alignment tabs on the hull... if its not in the correct position, adjust this while the shoe is off, so that you can get a good seal on the rear where the shoe meets the transom

+1
    Great advice right there.

+1
    WFO,
    My GPR has on the left side of the transom plate a .045 gap between it and the top alignment tab. My pump and shoe are sealed well with 5200, but can this gap be causing me to loose some top end speed? I hate to think of the work to correct it, but I will if it may be a significant problem. My boat handles well, but does not quite get the top end I would expect for the work it has on it. It does rev well, so I know I am making the power.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    also make sure the transom plate is up against all 3 alignment tabs on the hull... if its not in the correct position, adjust this while the shoe is off, so that you can get a good seal on the rear where the shoe meets the transom

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    WFO,
    My GPR has on the left side of the transom plate a .045 gap between it and the top alignment tab. My pump and shoe are sealed well with 5200, but can this gap be causing me to loose some top end speed? I hate to think of the work to correct it, but I will if it may be a significant problem. My boat handles well, but does not quite get the top end I would expect for the work it has on it. It does rev well, so I know I am making the power.
    I think not eating so many cookies may help the situation....hahahaha!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    WFO,
    with that transom lower, it will cause the driveline to be off a bit, and may prevent the shoe from being up into the hull correctly

check the shoe depth front and rear, on both sides

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Thanks again for the input , as always its appreciated. It appears that my transom is below the tab about the same amount that the shoe is down on that side. I will pull everything out, seal and install it correctly and go from there!

Thread Information