Looking for help with first jet ski

So i'm a newb! My buddy gave me the itch to get a ski and now i'm trying to find one. From what I know I'm looking to stick with a seadoo 2 stroke for my first. Him and his buddy know them pretty well and have spare parts. He has me looking at XPs right now. I'm looking for something easy to fix and cheaper parts than 4 stroke i'm told. I am looking for something my girlfriend can ride on as well. Together we are about 300 lbs, probably a little less. Mainly going to be a fresh water ride, but may see salt water too.

Looking to keep it under $3.5k w/ trailer for something in good shape that doesn't need work to get it on the water. What models should I be looking for? Any help is appreciated. If you need more info let me know

EDIT: I'm just wondering if an XP will do these things and be reliable if it is in good shape. He has an idea of what to check out when we go see them. Or if there is something else I should look at let me know.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    if your a newby then i would say the RX is the key.

For 3.5k, you could easily get into a nice 2002-2004 Gtx 4-stroke. If you get the naturally aspirated you would have a nice low maintenance beginner ski that will have a decent resale value.

If you plan on riding 2 up, don't get an XP

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 is enough View Post
    For 3.5k, you could easily get into a nice 2002-2004 Gtx 4-stroke. If you get the naturally aspirated you would have a nice low maintenance beginner ski that will have a decent resale value.
    Around here most people are asking at least $4,000+ for their 2002+ 4 Stroke Sea Doos. Prices are ridiculous this time of year.

+1
    Definitely go with with a nice RX! You will love it, it's sporty enough for you to enjoy out on the water by yourself but stable enough to ride 2 up on. Do not get an XP if you want to ride two up haha.

There is this one available, but I thought this had the 951 motor in it which my friend says isn't that great!

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/2911945647.html

+1
    If ur intent on getting 2 stroke, the '01 GTX is SWEET! Handles 2 people vry well as it's a 3 seater. Nice hull design 4 any Lake & the open water. I own one of those & hav NO PROBLEMS!! (i keep it maintained ofcourse)

Thanks! Going to look at this tomorrow:

http://nwct.craigslist.org/boa/2957933342.html

Supposedly has motor rebuilt, new bearings, rods, everything. Says he has most receipts as well. Looks pretty nice. Fingers crossed. Over the phone he already said he would accept $2,500. Hopefully I can pick it up for another hundred or two cheaper. Now just to make sure he has all the paperwork to register it. Then I have to take the PWC course to get my certificate.

Thread Information