Talking idle issues 2001 waverunner xlt1200 with pv

Thank you for any help, my first ski.
    When on the water the idle is low and intermittently will just flutter and stall, adjusted idle screw on the water with the seat off but still happening, rest of time everything is fine top speed 58-60mph.
    Now, when taken out of the water on trailer I started it up to blow out residual water. Once started the idle immediately went up to 5000 rpm's and engine would not shut off (dieseling effect I guess) I had to pinch off fuel line by hand to turn off. What could be the cause? I was thinking like an old car with a vacuum leak, you have a really high idle in park then once you put it in gear or load it it will stall. Does my problem sound like a Vacuum leak after carb's?

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas,

Bruce

ps: Already installed waveaters.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by myturn View Post
    Thank you for any help, my first ski.
    When on the water the idle is low and intermittently will just flutter and stall, adjusted idle screw on the water with the seat off but still happening, rest of time everything is fine top speed 58-60mph.
    Now, when taken out of the water on trailer I started it up to blow out residual water. Once started the idle immediately went up to 5000 rpm's and engine would not shut off (dieseling effect I guess) I had to pinch off fuel line by hand to turn off. What could be the cause? I was thinking like an old car with a vacuum leak, you have a really high idle in park then once you put it in gear or load it it will stall. Does my problem sound like a Vacuum leak after carb's?

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas,

Bruce

ps: Already installed waveaters.
    you prob have an air leak somewhere. have you done any work on it recently?

Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    you prob have an air leak somewhere. have you done any work on it recently?
    No work recently. I think all factory, I purchased used and have only installed waveater clips. currently has about 75 hours on it.
    idle was OK until 1/2 way through a weekend on the water and then started fluttering and stalling. so I adjusted the idle knob/screw to try and compensate but still would flutter and stall at idle only, rest of time was fine, smooth and 58mph. then when out of the water and started it was 5000 rpm and would not shut down without scrambling and pinching off the fuel line.
    so you think and air leak, after or before carbs? could it be a carb issue?
    Would an emissions smoke machine help determine air leaks if installing smoke line into the exhaust tail pipe and looking for smoke around engine?

Thanks,
    Bruce

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by myturn View Post
    No worknev recently. I think all factory, I purchased used and have only installed waveater clips. currently has about 75 hours on it.
    idle was OK until 1/2 way through a weekend on the water and then started fluttering and stalling. so I adjusted the idle knob/screw to try and compensate but still would flutter and stall at idle only, rest of time was fine, smooth and 58mph. then when out of the water and started it was 5000 rpm and would not shut down without scrambling and pinching off the fuel line.
    so you think and air leak, after or before carbs? could it be a carb issue?
    Would an emissions smoke machine help determine air leaks if installing smoke line into the exhaust tail pipe and looking for smoke around engine?

Thanks,
    Bruce
    never tried that way. id look at the covers to the pv since you just had them off. use new gaskets if you didnt. sometimes you can locate leaks by spraying starter fluid in general areas and listening to the motor.

+1
    Sounds like air leak. Could be anywhere. If you intalled wave eaters it may be those covers. I had to use some 1211 to seal mine as all three were found leaking during my pressure test. That would be best case scenario. Worst case would probably be seals. Good luck.

Thread Information