Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Complete PWC rookie - Should I go SeaDoo and why?

What's up guys, new to the board and completely knew to PWC ownership. After shopping around and looking around, I think I'm stuck between the 2012 Seadoo GTR 215 and the 2012 Yamaha VXR, maybe the FX HO for the more features and look, not a big fan of the VXR appearance.

This review had scared me off of the GTR, but yet it is a yamaha fan-boy website: http://www.fzwaverunner.com/2011/12/...a-doo-gtr-215/

Best Prices I've Found;
    2012 Carbon VXR - $12,000 out the door
    2012 Seadoo GTR215 - $12,195 out the door

Both have two-year warranties, an additional 4 year warranty is available for $750 from RPM-1 or $700 for 3 year from BRP Seadon on the GTR. I was told the rebuild on the supercharger is ~$700 by a Seadoo authorized shop and only required at 200 hours, which should take me awhile. A lot of shop guys have been telling me the internals quality are in the favor of Seadoo, but yet reviews online confuse me even further as to which would be better for my use- mostly salt water bay and outlet riding, maybe some ocean. A lot of guys have been telling me the FX HO would be noticeably better handling currents?

I just wanted to see what your guys opinions were between the two, any advice and pro's/con's would be appreciated, also how does the FX HO compare to the above two? A lot of people keep telling me all maintenance aspects are going to be more involved and expensive with the GTR. Also, a lot of guys are telling me the fuel economy 1.8 Liter High Output on the Yamaha will be GREATLY noticeable, not just slightly.

I don't know if I've just been talking to biased Yamaha fans or if their points are all true, HELP!

Mike

+1
    IMHO the review was VERY biased.

who ever said the GTI hull was abandoned?
    it ISNT. or even close to being, its on every "base" model of seadoo, and imho, its playful, light and overall FUN...

the engine out-dated?
    oh really?
    why is it used on the boats, the rotax style engine provides alot of power for its size.
    its the SAME engine on EVERY thing that is seadoo.
    130-155-215-255-260 are ALL the same engine, just that they change "minor" details,
    to jump from 155 to 215 HP they added a supercharger.
    to jump from 215 to 255 or 260, all they did was change "some" parts.
    the engine overall is still reliable, and powerful.

now i agree that a supercharger provides higher losses than a turbo-charged engine, but it makes less heat, and is a simpler design.

as i see on their site, the yamaha's use a supercharger aswell..

so from where is this "beef" coming from?

ill be honest, i never rode a recent yamaha jetski but might try one out this summer.

but what i can say is, the engine ISNT the same as a ski-doo, and it wont have problems in high temperatures.

closed loop is better in salt water than what yama has to offer...

imho, compare both skis by looks, price, dealer accessibility and so on, and based on that make your decision.

but what i can say is you will be happy with a seadoo.

hope i helped.

edit: i ride in a lake, it gets mildly choppy, but nowhere near ocean swells.
    so i cant help with that..

feel free to ask any questions, im sure others could chip in aswell.

edit 2: and seadoo runs on 87 octane aswell.. never had problems running it.. i know others use 91rst..

just because that review was way-off, i wouldnt trust it...

+1
    It is hard to base any sort of decision on a review you found online simply because you have no idea who wrote it. Personally, I am new to PWCs but based on all the reading I've done on the internet (which is a lot of hours worth) and input from local friends/acquaintances I decided to stay away from Sea Doos simply because of reliability and all of the issues my friends have had thus far. For example, I know a kid who bought a brand new RXT-X and has had multiple problems with the ski since day one. The speedometer doesn't work and every time he brings it to the dealership they blow air on it and tell him it works fine. The problem is that something happens when it's actually in the water and the speedometer simply doesn't work. I decided to look for a Yamaha and ended up stumbling upon a great deal on a Kawasaki so I bought it. I'm sure since you posted in the Sea Doo forums you are going to get avid Sea Doo fans that swear by the brand. So basically, just like everything else, with time and experience you will decide what you prefer.

+1
    My 2 cents, every make, model, manufacturer tht ever was or will be has a products out there that performs & that has problems. I've only owned Seadoo & wouldnt own anything else. I know of some Who have Seadoos & wished they never have so.....(ofcourse they wont mention that they neglected the machine somewhere at some point)

Take care of your machine & it will take care of you!

+1
    Get the one that appeals to you. Both manufacturers are good at building skis.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Heres a vid of my first ride on a 2012 GTR:

...and a vid i just made of same ski in the gulf of mexico:

I, personally, thoroughly enjoy my GTR. It has plenty of 'zip', and does o.k. in (up to) medium chop. Rides like a 'flat-track' bike on flat water with the trim in the upper positions, and carves pretty well with it in the lowest; although nothing like the new T3 hull(RXP-X).

I know nothing of the yammis, as i have never owned, nor ridden one: So I can't say how they ride.

Alot of folks here have them(yamaha), and most are pretty sure its the best ski; just as I am sure that Sea-Doo is the best...

Red baron is right though, They are both quality manufacturers, and you should choose the ski that you like, and feels best suits your needs.

Do you have friends with skis? maybe, before you buy, you could get rides on theirs and make your decision following your own experience form the (demo) rides...

+1
    PC Beach....SWEET!!! That's my hometown!

Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post

I, personally, thoroughly enjoy my GTR. It has plenty of 'zip', and does o.k. in (up to) medium chop. Rides like a 'flat-track' bike on flat water with the trim in the upper positions, and carves pretty well with it in the lowest; although nothing like the new T3 hull(RXP-X).

I know nothing of the yammis, as i have never owned, nor ridden one: So I can't say how they ride.

Alot of folks here have them(yamaha), and most are pretty sure its the best ski; just as I am sure that Sea-Doo is the best...

Red baron is right though, They are both quality manufacturers, and you should choose the ski that you like, and feels best suits your needs.

Do you have friends with skis? maybe, before you buy, you could get rides on theirs and make your decision following your own experience form the (demo) rides...

Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post

They've all got older models and basically the bare minimum to get on the water and have fun, I think each one spends atleast $1,000 a season making repairs on like 2000-2003 models of Seadoo/Kawi/Yama.

How does the price I'm getting sound, right or should I press harder? He's down to $12,195, including a caravan or tide water galvanized trailer, $13,048 out the door with the ski and trailer.

The 260 aS will be my next one, I have several friends with these, they ride all day in all conditions and are less fatigued at the end of the day...this isn't us but it's the ski I want...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information