ski not starting.... leaking carbs

To make a long story short. I bought a 1993 kawasaki 750SS/xi this past winter. I took it out for a test ride and it had started sputtering after about an hour of riding so I removed the fuel tank and cleaned it out, replaced the fuel lines, blocked off crackcase drain and the oil injection and I cleaned the carbs. I also run a fuel filter on the main fuel line going into the carb. After all that I took it out and it ran great all day long for two weekends until this weekend. I went to go crank it up before leaving for the lake and its not cranking. I started looking around the carbs and I notice fuel is coming out of the left carb at a pretty good amount so obviously that is going to require a rebuild kit which I am waiting on in the mail. My question is could this cause some sort of vacuum leak that would make the ski not start? Ive read a little on fuel leaks and their skis/dirtbikes/cars/blah blah still seem to at least start up. Mine isnt starting. Ive had a crankcase vacuum leak on a PREVIOUS ski leak on me causing the ski to only start up when you deliver fuel into the carb and then the engine would rev out of control but could a small leak in the carb cause this?

Previously, after I did all the cleaning and replacing fuel lines, the ski would start on its own no problem.

+1
    A fuel leak most likely means that the diaphragm is ruptured. That means that the carb isn't getting the fuel it needs. Probably wouldn't start or run very well.

I've installed primers on all my 'Skis for instant starting, but I've learned that leaving the chokes in can be a good idea. I drill a hole in the intake manifold and install a primer port there.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    A fuel leak most likely means that the diaphragm is ruptured. That means that the carb isn't getting the fuel it needs. Probably wouldn't start or run very well.

I've installed primers on all my 'Skis for instant starting, but I've learned that leaving the chokes in can be a good idea. I drill a hole in the intake manifold and install a primer port there.

by diaphragm ruptured you mean the gasket has blown, so a rebuild would fix this. Correct?

Ill look into installing a primer port but I never like drilling into things like this. Makes me nervous.

well I kind of answered my own question. the carb rebuild kit I bought says it comes with a new diaphragm.....soo yeah it should fix this problem.

+1
    Ain't no biggie. First, find an appropriate fitting, 1/8" barb x 1/8" MPT. Get a 1/8" MPT tap. Get the appropriate drill for the tap, size will probably be on the side of the tap. Remove the intake manifold, drill the hole, tap the hole. Since it's a pipe thread, the threads are tapered. Do NOT run the tap all the way in! Go part way and try the fitting. Tap it some more and try again. The fitting should get snug with a couple threads still showing.

Here's a pic of one of mine, the fitting is the brass piece in the very center of the photo.

Slide the primer hose on the fitting and secure with safety wire. Hook the other end to the primer cylinder and secure. The hardest part is installing the T fitting in the Reserve line and securing it properly. Use BRASS fittings, some people have had the plastic fittings break and leak fuel.

Thread Information