1999 Genesis Carb 1200 electrical issue. Need a little help. Have picture no restart

I did use the thread search to try and resolve this issue but still came up short. I have a no spark after start issue and found this thread.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...it#post1539070

My problem is it appears that this unit does not have the same type ignition with that male motherboard in the thread. It looks like someone connected the wire coming out of the CDI to a red wire that goes out of the box and I think is going to the display. I could not find any info on the service bulletin showing that. I do have the jumper wire # 2460928 but I have not a place to put it on. Am I missing something here? Is this wiring correct? Spark seems to come and go as it pleases. Once running it seems to be fine although you have to pull the lanyard off to kill it. If you press the start stop button it does not kill it and also sounds like the starter is trying to engage. Any help would be welcomed as electrical is my worst enemy. Comes easy for some, not for me. You can see the red/purple female is open with nothing attached and I think they connected the male out of the CDI to the red wire going out of the box. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07282.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	268840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07283.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	268841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07284.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	268842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07285.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	268843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07286.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	268844  

See here for the red/purple wire fix:

On most skis, the orange terminal is in the same e-box. If I recall, when I did it to my '99 Genesis, there were no orange wires in the main box and I ended up having to run a from the main box to the second box which it located behind the removable panel on the back wall of the front storage compartment. I'm not sure what/if the TSB said to do with the Gensis, but this worked for me and solved all of my hot start problems. Ultimately, the goal is to connect the red/purple wire coming from the stator to the orange circuit.

Your other problem doesn't sound related. It sounds like your start/stop module (LR-502) may be bad. It's also possible that it's not wired correctly....basically, it doesn't sense that the engine is running so it doesn't send the signal to stop it, instead it tries to start it. I have the same exact problem with my Virage that has a known bad LR module. When I swap in the good one from my other Virage the problem goes away.

I'd double check the wiring and maybe even do the red/purple-orange fix first and if that doesn't fix it, replace the LR-502. It's only about $65 from partsland.

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    See here for the red/purple wire fix:

On most skis, the orange terminal is in the same e-box. If I recall, when I did it to my '99 Genesis, there were no orange wires in the main box and I ended up having to run a from the main box to the second box which it located behind the removable panel on the back wall of the front storage compartment. I'm not sure what/if the TSB said to do with the Gensis, but this worked for me and solved all of my hot start problems. Ultimately, the goal is to connect the red/purple wire coming from the stator to the orange circuit.

Your other problem doesn't sound related. It sounds like your start/stop module (LR-502) may be bad. It's also possible that it's not wired correctly....basically, it doesn't sense that the engine is running so it doesn't send the signal to stop it, instead it tries to start it. I have the same exact problem with my Virage that has a known bad LR module. When I swap in the good one from my other Virage the problem goes away.

I'd double check the wiring and maybe even do the red/purple-orange fix first and if that doesn't fix it, replace the LR-502. It's only about $65 from partsland.

Wow...I'm feeling pretty stupid. There is another Ebox up front behind that front panel just as you said. That red wire connected from the CDI red/purple is run all the way up to the other box and tapped into the orange location. So, looks like the update is correct and done. I will order a LR-502 and hope that does the trick. Thanks very much for the fast and helpful information.

I've never messed with the 502 (yet) and I'm not sure how similar it is the the LR-503 that the injected machines have, but you might want to see if this bypass method is possible:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1702474

That bypasses it so only the lanyard will kill the engine, but if that eliminates the sporadic starting, you'll know it's a bad LR.

This thread has a good explanation of how the LR module and stator fix work:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...57#post1188557

The way it is supposed to work is as follows;

Engine off, LR model has zero volts on Orange wire
    CDI is connected to Orange wire, so CDI is fully shut down.

Engine cranks. LR module senses RPM on Yellow wire, and powers up Orange wire. CDI is connected to Orange wire, so the CDI also powers up, and then delivers spark.

Engine shuts down. LR module then kills power to Orange wire, and CDI is also powered down.

----------------------------
    If the LR module is defective and continually delivers power to the Orange wire, the CDI Red/Purple wire is also continually powered up.

Many domestic CDI have a problem internally. If they remain powered when the engine is stopped, the CDI gets confused, and thinks the engine is running when it is not actually running.

The effect is that the engine will not restart right after you shut it off. If you wait long enough, eventually the CDI times out, and then you can restart the engine.

--------------------
    The fix from Polaris was to have the CDI powered from the LR module Orange output. That is supposed to shut the CDI down completely by removing power when the engine stops.

If your LR module is defective, then the CDI doesn't power down, and the engine won't have spark when you try a warm re-start.

Update: I got a new LR module for it, by part # and installed it. Now I have no spark at all. I even put the old LR back in and still have no spark. what gives? I made no other changes, WTF! It at least had spark before. Now its dead.
    Last edited by Maulin Marto; 04-19-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added info

Are you sure you wired it correctly? Double check the wiring and everything else in your e-box. Make sure you didn't pull and wires off their terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    Are you sure you wired it correctly? Double check the wiring and everything else in your e-box. Make sure you didn't pull and wires off their terminal.
    Very sure it was wired in correct, battery completely disconnected. Put the old one back in, no spark...double chked everything. Anyone have a PDF on this model so I can chk the stator values? Hope there is enough room to change it in the boat. What a drag, had it sold for $2500 on the trailer. Thinking of parting out...engine is mint.

Thread Information