Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 slt 780 no spark headache

So I decided this year to complete so much needed maintenance which I have been neglecting. Rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, change all oil/gas lines cleaned the inside, replaced the bilge pump ...etc
    well in the process of doing the bilge I decided to check the e-box to make sure it wasn't just a wiring issue. Box had a little condensation but I notice the gasket was broken. I replaced the gasket but accidentally yanked out the wire from one of the ignition coils. I cut a little off the end and jammed in back in. There was also one loose wire that i reconnected to its respective spot on the board. Closed the box and now I have no spark! I went through k447's testing and the results came back relatively the same except for the coils. Each one measures from lead to lead .3ohms and black to white in series .8 ohms neither of these are even close. Bad coils? I just don't see how this is possible.

Any ideas?

Edit: was surfing around and found this http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=168642&page=2

Could the mfd cause no spark? I did do the mfd fix as my readouts were faded, hadn't tested for spark after doing this. I'm going to unplug and see what happens.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Try unplugging the MFD and see what happens.

If not, the coils are wired in series. So if 1 coil is failing, then you can have a no spark condition.

Got to ask though being the start of a new year. Did you install the lanyard when checking for spark?

Are you sure you put the wire on it's correct terminal?

Do you have the ground wire jumping from 1 side of the elec box to the other side?

How much condensation are we talking? There should be 0 moisture inside there. If you have any corrosion on the terminals or on the back side of the circuit board, that can cause you issues.

Going to pull the mfd. Waiting on a new battery, I killed the other one cranking. Lanyard was installed, I also pulled the stop switch wire and check the specs on that, it measured ok. Yea I double checked all the wires are on the right terminals. There was some moisture not pooling but it wasn't dry. I might just pull the terminal board and clean it to double check. What do you think about the measurements I got off the coils though?

And yes ground wire goes from black terminal side to a standoff next to the coils.

+1
    Check the black to plug wire measurement on each coil. Should be 3.3K ohms

And just for the Hell of it since you're in there, check the stator wires. You may have a failing stator too.

Which black and which plug wire? There's a black and a black white on the coils. I'll check the stator

+1
    Coil black wire to end of spark plug lead (with spark plug boot removed) on each coil

That was stupid of me, I just re-read that, makes perfect sense. Will test today.

Ok checked from spark wire to black. 3.4 on two of them, the third one that I had yanked the wire out of I had nothing. Pulled the wire out and tested from the pin that the spark plug wire sits on and I've got a good reading! Changing out the wire as it barely reaches as it is. I trimmed it about a half inch shorter on each end and plugged into the coil and it was still reading fine. Looks like it just was a bad connection. Will post back after the change

+1
    Hope that's it, fingers crossed.

Success! Changed out the spark plug wire for that coil and she's running again. Guess I should have started there after knowingly ripping out the wire from that coil. Thanks for the help x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information