Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 SLT 700 timing retarted

I bought a 96 SLT 700 that was not running, found the problem was the CDI. I installed ignition update kit part # 2873355 and it runs now but I can't get the timing even close to spec. I put a dial indicator in the mag cylinder and found 18 degrees advance(.081 BTDC) and marked the flywheel. With the trigger wheel in the flywheel set as far advanced as it will go I put a timing light on it and ran it up to 3000rpm and I could not find the 18 degree mark I made. So I marked the flywheel where the strobe flashes and checked the postion of this mark in relation to the mag cylinder piston with a dial indicator and it is .019 BTDC, about 9 degrees advance. I thought maybe the flywheel had slipped and sheared the key so I pulled it back off to check and everything was fine. I wondered if maybe it has the wrong flywheel. Is there more than one flywheel that will fit this engine? Could I have a bad CDI or have installed the kit wrong causing this problem? I need help, I don't know where to go next, any ideas are welcome.

I have read about a 10 degree flywheel on this site somewhere.
    I forget what its called. (Easy start Flywheel ?)
    It sounds to me like you dont have the right flywheel.
    I have also read about a wire that retards the ignition if there is a fault. I think its a gray wire from the board to the cdi.
    I'm kind of a hack so i'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than i will jump in here and help.
    There is a lot of info on this if you search the forum and click around. Be sure to post your solution so we can all learn from it.

There was a gray wire coming from the CDI that was supposed to connect to the rpm limiter on the board according to the instructions but there was no such terminal on the board, also a yellow tach wire from the stator with no place to hook to because this machine only has a fuel guage, no tach or mfd. I found somewhere on this site that the gray wire should go to the tan terminal and the yellow should connect with the other yellows. Is that correct?

I'm not for sure.
    The color codes match on the boards in most cases. Yellow to yellow, yellow/black to yellow/black, etc.
    I think the gray goes to other terminals too depending.
    What I am thinking I can quite put into words. The question in my mind is if the gray wire is connected does it advance the timing and then when unconnected retard it? Or vice versa.
    In other words is it retarded now and need to be connected to advance it?
    I just dont know enough.
    I think the tan is for the temp sensor ( I think I read). (Which would ground the gray wire on fault).
    But I also have read that it can go to fuel. I dont know if that would be power or not.
    I would be temped to ground the gray wire and see if it retards more or advances, or stay the same.
    I would be afraid to power it but it could be that giving the gray wire power might advance,
    which is the effect that you need.
    Is there no yellow from the LR module?
    I think you will need to read some more. I dont want you mad at me if you fry anything!

I looked in the manual and the SLT 700 has neither an rpm limiter nor a timing retard.
    The gray wire from the cdi to the stator but thats oem.
    You bought a kit. Did it come with both the cdi and the stator?
    Instructions?
    My slt700 had a gray wire from the cdi with a blade connector. I hooked it to a spare on the board and the timing was fine. I'm back to wondering about a flywheel.
    Have you had any luck?

No luck so far, the kit I bought came with cdi, stator, coil and instructions. I'm thinking the flywheel is right judging by the marks, tdc (determined with dial indicator) aligns with what looks to be a center punch mark at the beginning of the timing scale and 9 degrees (also determined with dial indicator) aligns with the ninth mark on the scale and so on. I have been looking around on this site and have found some info on the 10 degree advanced flywheel that you referred to, its a high start flywheel used on some 02-04 models and those cdi were programmed with a 10 degree retarded timing curve to match this flywheel, this being a 96 it shouldn't need that flywheel but I'm starting to wonder if I got a cdi programmed for a high start flywheel. Going to open the electrical box back up and check #s on cdi.

Just wondering how does a 700 compare to a 780 when everythings set up right? My 700 has never ran right since I bought it and I know this timing problem is the reason but my 780 will run circles around the 700. Just hoping when I get it right the 700 will run close to the 780.

Quote Originally Posted by trent View Post
    No luck so far, the kit I bought came with cdi, stator, coil and instructions. I'm thinking the flywheel is right judging by the marks, tdc (determined with dial indicator) aligns with what looks to be a center punch mark at the beginning of the timing scale and 9 degrees (also determined with dial indicator) aligns with the ninth mark on the scale and so on. I have been looking around on this site and have found some info on the 10 degree advanced flywheel that you referred to, its a high start flywheel used on some 02-04 models and those cdi were programmed with a 10 degree retarded timing curve to match this flywheel, this being a 96 it shouldn't need that flywheel but I'm starting to wonder if I got a cdi programmed for a high start flywheel. Going to open the electrical box back up and check #s on cdi.

Just wondering how does a 700 compare to a 780 when everythings set up right? My 700 has never ran right since I bought it and I know this timing problem is the reason but my 780 will run circles around the 700. Just hoping when I get it right the 700 will run close to the 780.
    I wouldn't think the 700 would keep up with the 780. I work on them but I rarely get to ride and when I do its alone. The 780 to me is faster but the 700's seem more dependable.
    Does that cdi have a serial port like a computer?
    If it does then maybe the dealer could set the timing electronically.
    Did you index the crank when you had the degree wheel on?
    I dont know if there is a joint on that part of the crank to twist but its worth checking because
    something is wrong somewhere.
    If not, I would drill holes and make the slots longer to turn the magnet further. (I AM in the Ozarks).
    Being careful not to get the shavings in the magnet.
    Never had to try that that but if the timing curve is right it could work.

What did the instructions say to do with the gray wire?

Banned User
    +1
    I have a SLTH 700. When I ride with my friend on his SLT 780, he is faster on acceleration, but I have him by a little on top end. If we both take off out of the hole, he gets a little ahead of me, but I catch him and pass him once we get up to speed.

The grey wire from the CDI gets connected to the grey terminal on the board. There may be nothing else connected to that terminal if your ski doesnt have the limiter function. You could connect it to the tan terminal if you want a rev limiter on overheat. Have you actually run the ski in the water? Is your dial indicator accurate? Meaning are you sure its not moving at all when you try to find TDC and throwing off its accuracy? Did you turn the magnet holder on the flywheel the right direction? I would try to run it and see what happens. If the timing is retarded, you probably aren't going to hurt anything. I find it hard to believe the CDI programming is off by that much. The yellow wire has to go to the yellow terminal, thats your charging circuit. Your battery wont charge without the wire hooked up. The CDI does have the serial port, but I think you can only advance or retard the timing 2 degrees either way without reprogramming the CDI.

Hi Bryan,
    I gave the benefit of the doubt on the rotation of the magnet but assumed that since he got that far that he would check that. Maybe not. I also asked about the LR module but we didnt get back to that. (The yellow wire).
    There has to be at least one LR module right?

Banned User
    +1
    Yes the one LR module is your regulator/rectifier that converts the AC current from the alternator (yellow wire) to DC which is the 12 volt supply on the red/purple wire. It also creates a switched 12 volt supply which is the orange wire. You should have those 3 wires from the LR module connected to the terminal board. The grey wire from the cdi invokes a rev limiter when that grey wire is grounded. I would double check all of your measurements to verify you are indeed reading your timing correctly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information