Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawi 12F Access to Starter

I think I have a loose cable to the starter.

I just want to tighten the cables on the starter.

How do I get to the starter for this?

Do I need to remove the exhaust manifold?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    It is under the intake manifold, you may be able to reach the top nut by removing the air intake and going in from the back. I would try to tighten the battery and starter solenoid wires before removing the intake though.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    It is under the intake manifold, you may be able to reach the top nut by removing the air intake and going in from the back. I would try to tighten the battery and starter solenoid wires before removing the intake though.

Sean
    Thanks. I have removed the solenoid and battery as issue, I think.

When I try to start the jet ski, sometimes I just get a solid click from the solenoid. At some point it starts.

I read that if the solenoid clicks hard, it probably is not the solenoid behind the problem.

Any comments?

Can I safely "skip" the solenoid and connect the battery directly to test if solenoid is the problem?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I wouldn't. pull the cables off the starter solenoid but leave the electrical connection on. hit the starter button and if it clicks its safe to say it is good. What is the voltage of the battery?

Sean

Battery is fully charged.
    I have 3 batteries, One is brand new.
    All three batteries easily start my other PWC.

Battery is definitely not issue.

Maybe this helps: Last time I rode the kawi, one time it cut off in the middle of a ride (at about 25 mph).

Does that make a loose cable/bad connection more probable?

Actually that makes it a different problem altogether. The starter's job is done once the machine is running and has no further involvement until the next start. If the machine cuts off while riding then that is a different issue.

Does the solenoid click every time you press the start button? It is possible that you have a problem in the start/stop switch which could explain both symptoms. This would be a good thing since all the other possibilities are much more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD Solutions View Post
    Actually that makes it a different problem altogether. The starter's job is done once the machine is running and has no further involvement until the next start. If the machine cuts off while riding then that is a different issue.

Does the solenoid click every time you press the start button? It is possible that you have a problem in the start/stop switch which could explain both symptoms. This would be a good thing since all the other possibilities are much more expensive.
    Solenoid clicks every time, and hard.

The fact that it cut off in the middle of the ride and I have this starting issue, could it be as simple as a grounding issue.

I forgot to mention, yesterday, as I was troubleshooting, twice when I turned the "orange" security knob on, the LCD did not even come on. Then I pushed cables around the battery/solenoid area and the LED came back on.

I just moved around the cables that connect to the battery. Now, I did not get the impression that shifting the cables at the battery terminal brought the LCD on, as again, battery is good on other PWC, and I hook it up tight.

Would it not seem that somewhere along the battery/solenoid/starter path there is a grounding issue?

Yes, most likely a bad ground although it could still be a positive lead as well. Sounds like you are on a good path so keep going. Inspect each wire and the terminals for corrosion and/or broken lugs or hopefully just a loose connection. Sometimes the cables corrode on the inside and stop conducting so look for cable swelling and signs of heat. If it's a bad cable, it will be getting hot and you may find it that way.

I have a complete solenoid with all the cables on my shelf if you need any pics or values to compare to. I also have a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD Solutions View Post
    Yes, most likely a bad ground although it could still be a positive lead as well. Sounds like you are on a good path so keep going. Inspect each wire and the terminals for corrosion and/or broken lugs or hopefully just a loose connection. Sometimes the cables corrode on the inside and stop conducting so look for cable swelling and signs of heat. If it's a bad cable, it will be getting hot and you may find it that way.

I have a complete solenoid with all the cables on my shelf if you need any pics or values to compare to. I also have a starter.
    Thanks, OCD.

What stinks is, if it is a bad cable to starter, man, I must remove the intake manifold to get to starter.

I hate that!!

I have never done that. I know how to read, and follow instructions, but it is still intimidating to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information