Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stuck at 3500 rpms

i recently purchased a 1998 seadoo gsx. i got it in the water for the first time today and the rpms are PEGGED at 3500. it starts and idles fine, but if you try to go anywhere it will not go above 3500k. its almost as if something is stuck in the impeller. i have lots of experience with two strokes and outboards, but zero pwc experience. i dont even know where to start. it almost seems like its in some sort of limp mode because the lack of power is so consistent.

heres a pic of the badboy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by octaneforce; 04-16-2012 at 09:05 PM.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    can you tell if its a fuel related stall or a propulsion related stall? If the engine sounds like its missing or making a chugging sound its time to clean the fuel system. your way lean.

[QUOTE=airbornexp;1921421]can you tell if its a fuel related stall or a propulsion related stall? If the engine sounds like its missing or making a chugging sound its time to clean the fuel system. your way lean.[/QUOTE
    well out of the water i can pin it and it will spin up to about 7100 rpms. in the water it just chugs at that consistent 3500 HOWEVER once in a while it will shoot up to about 5200rpms and leap out of the water for a split second. its weird. also, when i turn it on the main screen says "MAINT" for a couple seconds. does this thing have a limp mode? like i said, it just starts and idles so nicely and bogs so perfectly, that it doesnt seem like a typical fuel problem. ill tear it down if need be though.

+1
    sounds like a bad voltage regulator to me, but your machine has other known issues as mentioned about the fuel system.

+1
    Sounds like its only running on one cylinder ,can you pull the plugs and see if they are both firing ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    sounds like a bad voltage regulator to me
    that was going to be my assumption also if the fuel system was verified..

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    sounds like a bad voltage regulator to me, but your machine has other known issues as mentioned about the fuel system.
    the whole time i was using it the screen said "12v low" however my battery is fairly new and i keep it on a maintainer. where is the voltage regulator? how does it affect the way the engine runs? thanks

+1
    its in the front gray box. split it open and its the little square with yellow and red wires coming out of it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    its in the front gray box. split it open and its the little square with yellow and red wires coming out of it.
    That rectifier is mounted on the mpem up front on the 97 take a volt meter and check the charging system with the engine running at 3500 rpm you should see a gross overcharging like 16 plus volts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information