Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1

Just picked up a 2005 F-12x, looks like I need some advice and some tips

Hi guys,
    Well, I had to scoop up a good deal, picked up this 2005 in the local neighborhood.
    Will be taking it up to Norris Lake in TN. next month where it will find it's home .........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hondaf12x.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	268929
    She looks to be all stock, we have a water leak into the hull to find -When it runs on the hose there is water coming from the area behind the muffler. ( i think its a hose or a hole in something ).
    25 hours on it, wasn't used much.
    Need some advice on the standard things that will make this honda perform to its full potential.
    Does Honda have pump wedges ? Should I install one ?
    I have been reading up on the wastegate issues and the 30 minute project that JR told us about.
    Stock prop ok for this ski? Does Jim's performance do some ride plate work on the honda's like he does so well for the Kawasakis?
    IS there a trusted tech in South Florida for these Honda's if I have to get something major done?

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hondaf12x2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	268930
    Last edited by Kawi-Guy; 04-15-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawi-Guy View Post
    Hi guys,
    Well, I had to scoop up a good deal, picked up this 2005 in the local neighborhood.
    Will be taking it up to Norris Lake in TN. next month where it will find it's home .........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hondaf12x.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	268929
    She looks to be all stock, we have a water leak into the hull to find -When it runs on the hose there is water coming from the area behind the muffler. ( i think its a hose or a hole in something ).
    25 hours on it, wasn't used much.
    Need some advice on the standard things that will make this honda perform to its full potential.
    Does Honda have pump wedges ? Should I install one ?
    I have been reading up on the wastegate issues and the 30 minute project that JR told us about.
    Stock prop ok for this ski? Does Jim's performance do some ride plate work on the honda's like he does so well for the Kawasakis?
    IS there a trusted tech in South Florida for these Honda's if I have to get something major done?

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hondaf12x2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	268930
    Todd,
    If you put a couple of inches of water inside the hull and tilt it slightly rearward does it leak out? The most likely candidates are:

Bubbles of corrosion from under the rubber coating to the shaft seal housing [same as mt SIL's Kawi 15F recently].
    The plastic nuts that seal around the cables going thru the hull that need to be replaced with aluminum ones [see our posts of PWCTODAY].
    Possibly the gasket around the exhaust being overheated due to a clogged exhaust mister hole inside the waterbox.
    It is a really fun ski, just keep the wastegate assembly coated with CRC....

+1
    Thanks JR,
    I already ordered 2 of the "
    HONDA AQUATRAX STEERING TRIM REVERSE BILLET ALUM NUTs (320822380923)" from Leapkid.
    and I will check out the shaft seal.

+1
    U said it leaked on the hose. I would just search it out wile running on the hose. It could be the rubber hose from the water port or a exhaust coupling .noone recomends running the water without running ski so if it leaked wile ski isnt running that could be ur problem

+1
    I hope that you enjoy your new toy! They are not fast but they are a lot of fun....

+1
    There is a hole in the exhaust side area that shoots the water directly down into the hull when the ski is running and the water hose is turned on , its on the bottom of a pipe area that the muffler connects to, which is on the side of the engine. I can feel the hole by reaching down on the side of the engine on the right side of the ski. I reach under the exhaust area from the front of the engine with my hand exploring towards the rear of the ski and the hole is on the bottom of the pipe there, shoots water straight down into the hull.
    Would that be considered part of the exhaust manifold? I need to find some engine pics of the honda in order to identify the bad part.

+1
    is it under the turbo? there is a plastic fitting that could be broken or you have a loose hose. Otherwise if the ski sat for years not flushed it could be rusted through somewhere.

+1
    I can put my finger in the hole from underneath and plug it , I think its in the manifold ( but I'm a Honda rookie, so it could be anything). Is this a common issue or is it rare to have this happen?

+1
    There are 19 MM Allen socket plugs all over the manifold and on the pump too. One of those might have rusted thru. You probably should replace the manifold if that is what it is. There have been some good manifold buys on Ebay recently, but I did not see any right now. If you can't find one call Eric at Gearhead Motorsports, he might have one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information