Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Destroyed 2011 SHO engine

First post - Thanks for being here

Well, my my buddy has succeeded in capsizing his SHO with probably less than 10 hrs on it.
    This was in saltwater, and it's been sitting for months.
    NONE of this is good... I'm assuming the engine is ruined... I'm glad I'm not him.
    But we were talking and I offered to help if I can, since he has no mechanical ability.
    I'm seeing that used or rebuilt SHO engines are scarce to nonexistent, and expensive if one can be found.
    What is the possibility that a 2 stroke could be transplanted to replace the SHO?

Thanks in advance - I have a feeling this won't be my only question

+1
    Didn't he have insurance? If so, he should let insurance pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rajon View Post
    First post - Thanks for being here

Well, my my buddy has succeeded in capsizing his SHO with probably less than 10 hrs on it.
    This was in saltwater, and it's been sitting for months.
    NONE of this is good... I'm assuming the engine is ruined... I'm glad I'm not him.
    But we were talking and I offered to help if I can, since he has no mechanical ability.
    I'm seeing that used or rebuilt SHO engines are scarce to nonexistent, and expensive if one can be found.
    What is the possibility that a 2 stroke could be transplanted to replace the SHO?

Thanks in advance - I have a feeling this won't be my only question
    I'm gonna say near ZERO possibility! Where will you put the two stroke oil tank? (It will be oil injected right?) What kind of ignition are
    you going to swap into it? (Since the current on is basically useless with it's curves, controls, etc.) You have a HUGE can of worms and
    an even larger amount of work to do this. Let's say conservatively that the old stock motor is 250 hp 4-stroke supercharged, and you
    put a 1300 two stroke motor in there(250 hp 2-stroke would be "nicely modified"). It could be around 165-180 hp in a MUCH heavier
    boat=bad performance. Even worse is that, "your friend" will not enjoy it and will get rid of it (likely), so either a dealer will eat it or
    someone else will end up with this "frankenstein" conglomeration! AND i've just thrown in a trickle of the GLARING issues you'll have
    to deal with. Maybe someone would be interested in making a project out of it who can "afford" to rebuild it. The Insurance would be
    your #1 bet and #2, trading "as is" to a dealer/project builder who can rebuild it for "cost". IMO DON"T DO IT, and slap your buddy for
    ruining his ski!! Then help him figure it out! Good luck, I hope you get him back on the water with a reliable ski...

Thanks for the No-Nonsense reply.
    I hate wasting my time trying to accomplish the impossible.

Where is the ski and how much would he sell it for?

+1
    It's not that hard of a fix really unless he sucked in water while the throttle was open (could of bent the valves or possibly rods)

Take the engine out.. Tear down the top end.. Clean everything and make sure it's in spec.. and put it back together. I'm guessing you could reuse most of the parts and would only be out money for gaskets n small chit. I'm sure the bottom end is fine with such low hours on the ski. Make a party out of it and invite some mechanic friends over to help!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rajon View Post
    Thanks for the No-Nonsense reply.
    I hate wasting my time trying to accomplish the impossible.
    What about the insurance, or was it non-existent...

Quote Originally Posted by CougarKiller View Post
    It's not that hard of a fix really unless he sucked in water while the throttle was open (could of bent the valves or possibly rods)

Take the engine out.. Tear down the top end.. Clean everything and make sure it's in spec.. and put it back together. I'm guessing you could reuse most of the parts and would only be out money for gaskets n small chit. I'm sure the bottom end is fine with such low hours on the ski. Make a party out of it and invite some mechanic friends over to help!!
    That is a very good point! the old two strokes had roller bearings and seals and such in the bottom end that usually became pitted or damaged from rust or salt water corrosion. It's possible that most things down there are good with a the 4-stroke type oil system and bearing styles. Check it out first, it could be a simple fix if nothing was bent/hydro-locked. Did he ride it much on that day AFTER he "capsized"? If he had to get back to the dock(couple miles) or continued his day(riding couple hours), I'd say it's mostly ok. Did he mention it started running differently? There are some smart engine guys in this forum, so fill in some more INFO, I'm sure they will help you get it figured out!!

+1
    Exactly! -- I bet that motor is fine and just needs to be cleaned up and reset the ECU or something

Where you at in AZ dood?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    What about the insurance, or was it non-existent...
    that would be the best way to go when messing around with a $14000 dollar ski... I'm guessing the warranty is out already. File a claim on that bish if it's got full coverage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information