Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'99 Genesis EMM vs. later models - injector matching

Has anyone found a definitive answer on what was different on the '99 and why the injectors weren't location matched to the EMM?

The EMM on my TXI is shot (lost spark in the PTO) and I have a spare EMM/injector set from a '99 Genesis that I've had on ebay.

I'm no contemplating putting the genesis EMM in to the Virage and holding off on the $600 DFI bill for a while.

Any reason this won't work? What's the better option?
    -Genesis EMM with Genesis injectors
    -Genesis EMM with Virage injectors

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I would say run the genesis EMM and injectors,There may be some difference in timing but nothing that will hurt anything. Better then running the mismatch set-up.

From what I have been told about Ficht injection the original plan was that each and every injector manufactured was suppose to flow the exact same amount of fuel. However, in the real world, they didnt and Ficht felt the rejection rate on injectors was extreme even though the injectors were flowing close to the designed rate. In order to be able to use the failed injectors, Ficht developed a flow algorithim for the computers to correct for the different flow rates of the individual injectors and thats why in 2000 injectors become cylinder specific and are matched to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    From what I have been told about Ficht injection the original plan was that each and every injector manufactured was suppose to flow the exact same amount of fuel. However, in the real world, they didnt and Ficht felt the rejection rate on injectors was extreme even though the injectors were flowing close to the designed rate. In order to be able to use the failed injectors, Ficht developed a flow algorithim for the computers to correct for the different flow rates of the individual injectors and thats why in 2000 injectors become cylinder specific and are matched to the computer.
    Interesting. I wonder what's really different then. Since nothing likely changed in the manufacturing of the injectors, any change would have to be specific to the EMM. Perhaps the '99 injectors were the best of the best since so many were rejected....so theoretically they're all within spec. The later models adjusted the flow via the EMM to make up for any manufacturing tolerance.

So I put the '99 EMM and injectors in and finally got around to taking it for a spin today. It seems to be working fine....kind of.

This was officially my first time riding the 1200 Virage since buying it last summer. I am very impressed with the power and holeshot. I was always happy how the Genesis handled, but with the shorter hull and less weight, the Virage is even more fun.

So it seemed to be running pretty well. I did a couple laps around the lake....about 12 miles or so. Then at one point I stopped and the engine died...but then cranked right back up...and then died again. I died a couple more times while I was trying to accelerate and then all of a sudden was fine. I was able to get it to do it again on a couple WOT runs. Not really predictable though. I through in a spare LR module from the other Virage just to rule that out....not change. It only had trouble restarted the first time. Every other time, it didn't even come off plane and I could hit the start button and keep on going.

I'm not sure if this is a compatibility issue with the EMM or an issue with the EMM itself. It could just be a higher temp/sporadic problem with the EMM.

I think I'll run it a couple more times and see how it does. I can live with an occasional cut-out as long as it starts right back up like it was doing today. Maybe I can delay the inevitable $600 DFI repair for a couple more seasons.

+1
    Soulds like maybe some bad fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Soulds like maybe some bad fuel?

Very possible. There was probably 4-5 gallons of last season's fuel with a little stabilizer in it. I topped it off with another 5 gallons of 92 octane before I went out. Not sure if bad fuel would make it die like that and then immediately start back up though...

+1
    I was thinking maybe a gulp of water mix, In the snowmobiles we use to add a little isoproplyn (sp) Alcohol to absorb the water. But you never want to use much as it will Wash the oil from the bearings on the crank if to much is used. I prefer to totally drain a tank vs using that.

I wish there was an easier way to drain the tank on these. I can siphon out as much as possible through the filler, but chances are if there's any water in there it'll stay at the very bottom where the siphon can't get it.

What's great is I have about 25 gallons of old gas that I've drained out of the other parted-out skis. The old Kohler engine my my lawn mower doesn't seem to mind a little water or turpentine smelling gas.

+1
    could be bad gas, moisture, dirty injector, etc.

i would try this;

http://watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Star..._Treatment.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information