STX 1100 wont start

I have a 2001 kawazaki STX 1100 DI.
    After sitting near the beach for 6 months without running, it will not start. Battery is brand new and plugs too. The starter motor is working hard, but the engine does not want to start. Looks like there is no fuel getting into the engine.
    Here are my troubleshooting steps, after I looked into lot of forums:
    Tested the fuel pump, by disconnecting the other end pipe, and fuel come out of it when trying to start the jet. So The pump is good.
    Tested the injectors. I unplugged the injector from the engine, and when I push on start button, after 2 seconds, fuel comes out of it. So it looks good.
    I put gas in the spark plug holes, and started, it worked, engine was running few seconds until it burnt all the fuel.

So the engine is good, the fuel injector and pump looks good. Something between them is not working. But there is nothing between them !!
    I even unplugged the 3 injectors, then plugged #1 alone, then start, then #2 alone, then start, then 3 alone, as mentioned in another forum to check if EMM module is damaged, but the engine did not start with any of them plugged alone.

So I have only 2 choices now.
    Buy 3 injectors at a cost of 500$ a piece, or the EMM module which is 1000$, since I do not want to repair it, just get a new one, I do not love in the US to get it to DFITechnologies.
    But nothing tells me it will fix my problem.
    Help is appreciated.

+1
    It's rude to ask the same question in several places, especially only minutes apart. Give us a chance to answer, we're not here 24/7 for your convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by assinie12 View Post
    I even unplugged the 3 injectors, then plugged #1 alone, then start, then #2 alone, then start, then 3 alone, as mentioned in another forum to check if EMM module is damaged, but the engine did not start with any of them plugged alone.
    Try unplug only 1 injector (& 2 plugged in) and see if it would start.

Injectors are bullet-proof on the DI.

Your EMM should be hooked up to the Kawi diagnostic program and see what error code(s) are stored in the EMM before trying any part.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Try unplug only 1 injector (& 2 plugged in) and see if it would start.

Injectors are bullet-proof on the DI.

Your EMM should be hooked up to the Kawi diagnostic program and see what error code(s) are stored in the EMM before trying any part.
    Hello meangreenman,

I also have an STX Di that wont start, sent the EMM off to DFI who did a repair on it, tested it and sent it back - plugged it into the ski and it ran like S**T for 30 sec, missfire, stall, etc... now it won't do anything and is back to how it was before sending the EMM off.

I did the test you mentioned in the above paragraph, when I unplug No3 injector the engine runs although very rough - what does this test proove?

When I unplug either No1 or 2 on their own then it still does nothing.

My fear is that the EMM has bust again...

Any help or advise greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworthspeed10 View Post
    I did the test you mentioned in the above paragraph, when I unplug No3 injector the engine runs although very rough - what does this test proove?

What that proves is following:
    1. The injector driver chip for #3 injector is shorted out.
    2. DFI sent you a bad EMM.

There are (obviously) 3 injector driver chips inside the EMM. When one of them shorts out (most likely due to overheating), all the current goes through it (literally 'shorted') and nothing goes to the other 2 injector driver chips. When the shorted chip injector connector is unplugged, no more shorting/draining and the other 2 good injectors are able to fire the engine... but runs rough as you described.

Did you get the exact same EMM or DFI's own refurbished one?
    One way to check is the serial number on the EMM if you've written down before sending to DFI.

Call DFI and complain.

Many thanks for your reply, I didn't write the serial number down before we sent it out but it was exactly the same fault before we sent it.

Will send it back and let you know the out come.

Thanks again.

Thread Information