'96 XP No beeps, but starts, now just cranks

Just got a '96 XP tonight. It beeped twice and started right up no problem when we went to check it out. Actually, plugging in the lanyard it beeped twice multiple times. I got home, tossed the lanyard on and no beeps, but lights on the gauge and it cranks over and started. Died shortly after. Started three more times for like 3 seconds each and then dies. Never once did it beep tonight though. I can crank all day, but I don't want to of course. Gas is very low as well....maybe a gallon in the tank. I'm thinking that is why it is now just cranking, but not starting. (as it's cranking, but sounds like no gas is getting to the motor, so no pops or anything)

I don't plan to start it again until I refill the tank. I also need to get the hose adaptor as well. I don't want to have to wait for a hose adaptor to come in so I'd like to at least see if I can get it to start up again.

It's my first ski so I definitely don't want to damage it.

Any idea why no beeps suddenly, but still starts/cranks?

Yes, those beepers fail. It's hiding on the bottom of your handle bar cover. Sometimes you can wack it with a screwdriver handle and wake it up a little. There is a fuel selector on the left side, turn counter clockwise until it stops and now you are on reserve. Fresh gas is a great idea anyway. Is the oil injection still hooked up or do you pre-mix? You should read the manual(I know that's generic advice) but it's a real eye opener even for a life long "all around" mechanic.

You lost the beep and your complaining ; ). I've been trying to lose that beep for 17 years!! Don't fix it !! Treat it like the vts, (seadoo joke) and ignore it!!!! Good luck with the new ride!!!

LOL...thanks guys. As long as it's starting I guess the beeps are no biggie. Oddly enough VTS works on this! It needs a good wiping down for spring, but motor is great (150psi/148psi compression), one RAVE valve has a slight leak or seep, new battery, and i'm going to do Hydro turf.

Pretty sure the starting issue is from me not changing fuel to "on" or "reserve" before starting it. Clear fuel lines show almost no fuel in lines. Going to fill the tank and make sure fuel is on and see what happens.

Now i'm just trying to find a place to buy my hose adaptor, rotax oil, etc.

yea, I had my XP say it had a full tank, wouldn't run on 'on'... turns out the gauge was lying, so after fixing it, and switching to reserve, it worked just fine.

I am parting out a 1996 XP so if you need any parts to make that one nicer just let me know!

Yep, it was fuel. Put 4 gallons in, cranked it a bit and popped to life! Sweet!!!!

Thread Information