Is it possible to replace Stator on FX140 without removing the engine?

Took my ski to the dealer to see why battery is not charging. They diagnosed it as a bad stator and want $780 to replace it.

I found a used Stator for cheap and want to do the work myself. Is it possible to replace the stator without removing the engine?

My thought is to use a hoist to support the front of the motor while I remove the front part of the exhaust, and then unbolt the stator
    from the front of the engine and replace it....It seems like it should work. Anyone have any ideas, thoughts or input?

Thanks for any replies
    Greg

+1
    Hello there buddy,

The way it works is tho following. The front engine stator cover is also the base of your motor mounts, you just have to hoist the front of the engine just a hair and you don't have to touch the exhaust. Then the stator comes attached to the front cover and the flywheel is on front of the crank but it is facing forward to meet the stator that is attached to the front cover. I hope this helps, Julio...

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Hello there buddy,

The way it works is tho following. The front engine stator cover is also the base of your motor mounts, you just have to hoist the front of the engine just a hair and you don't have to touch the exhaust. Then the stator comes attached to the front cover and the flywheel is on front of the crank but it is facing forward to meet the stator that is attached to the front cover. I hope this helps, Julio...
    Thanks Julio
    So once I raise the front of the engine up an inch or two I can unbolt the front cover (and stator) and just re-install it with the new stator.......Sounds good....Does any oil come out once you take the front cover off?....

+1
    You are correct. Yes lots of oil will come out, I did this work on my ho this past weekend and about three quarts of oil came out. Good luck, Julio...

+1
    i also did this back in 2005 due to a charging problem
    after pulling it all down i found it was a loose wire inside a joining plug
    may be worth looking into
    mine was an intermitent fault though so one time it would test as charging and the next it would test as a faulty stator

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    You are correct. Yes lots of oil will come out, I did this work on my ho this past weekend and about three quarts of oil came out. Good luck, Julio...
    Were you able to catch the oil before it leaked out onto the bottom of the hull? I'm trying to avoid a mess, but I'm not sure if it is possible. Thanks

+1
    Unfortunately not!!! LOL. I did however had enough rags laying underneath the engine bay and it did a good job absorbing it, Julio...

+1
    The yamaha 1,000cc is by FAR the easiest engine i have ever pulled. Buy, beg, or borrow a hoist and it will be a piece of cake.

Thread Information