Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Lightbulb Bought a ski and trailer, not sure what to tow it with.

Hello everyone. A couple weeks ago I bought a 2008 Kawasaki STX15F and it came with a 2007 Karavan double trailer. I currently have no vehicle with a hitch on it to tow the ski/trailer. Obviously I need to get a hitch put on something so I can tow the trailer. This is where I am unsure as to what road to take. Basically, I can either put it on my 2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with a 3.5-liter 252-HP V6 or a 2002 Honda CR-V with a 2.4-liter 160-HP engine. What would be able to handle the trailer easier? Would the 4 wheel drive capability of the CR-V make it a priority for towing over the Malibu? I was thinking that the 4 wheel drive would make it easier to pull off the ramps. I'd rather put it on the Malibu because it is my daily driver and will probably be around much longer than the CR-V but at the same time, I want to make the decision that is best for towing the ski. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Either one would work fine....I think it just looks funny for a car to pull a trailer.......

+1
    I agree, but it would just be so much easier to put it on the Malibu because the CR-V is what my sister normally drives and I don't feel like dealing with the whole headache related to letting her know when she will have to take my car, replacing her gas that I use, etc. As long as the CR-V won't be better, I'll probably throw it on the Malibu. The only problem is UHaul quoted me at $330 on the install and hitch for the Malibu, which seems expensive. I just wanted to make sure I won't have problems pulling it with the Malibu because I don't want to find out it's no good after I spent $330.

+1
    the malibu is fine, i tow with a honda civic and I have even pulled 2 4 stroke supercharged skis on a shorelander double trailer out of the ramp (and didn't spin) so a v6 malibu would be plenty

+1
    I used to pull mine with a civic also so there shouldn't be any problems with the Malibu

The CRV hitch costs about $150 and takes about 30 mins to install. Good luck finding a wiring harness though. I know the CRV will tow it just fine and so should the Malibu.

My 140hp stick shift ranger pulled our STX and our SHO fine. Id use your CRV with the higher ground clearance.

Edit. Saw CRV isn't yours. Malibu should be fine.

+1
    get a quote for the crv hitch to be installed and use which ever is cheaper

+1
    Malibu is fine to pull it.
    Call other hitch dealers. Uhaul is always high $$$

+1
    I just wanted to post my course of action and results in case anyone else has the same question in the future. I decided to order a hitch and wiring harness online from etrailer.com and install it with a friend of mine who is extremely mechanically inclined. The overall cost was somewhere in the high $200 range I believe. So far, I have not had any trouble pulling the double trailer with one Kawasaki STX 15F but I've only pulled off of one launch with the ski on the trailer. Just yesterday I launched my ski in a lake with a steep ramp and I am not sure how well the car will pull the ski out when the time comes. I may just end up borrowing my girlfriend's grandfather's truck to pull it out when the time comes and then trailer it home with my car, just to be safe. The only problem now is that I want another ski because they are so fun but doubt my car could handle towing the two skis, especially pulling them off ramps.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information