Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jet Pump Grease

Jet Pump Grease

Went to the dealer today to pick up some jet pump grease to fill the nose cone and this is what they gave me..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3802.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	269152

It's a synthetic grease that is "specifically made for Ski-Doo and Can-Am vehicle suspensions"

It is NOT gold in color like the orignal grease is supposed to be I believe? But more of a black/dark purple..

Is this okay to use or do I need to return it and buy the grease through the Green Hulk store that is specifically made for jet pumps?

Also is there anything that needs to be changed to the stock setup in order to run gear oil instead? If not, I might just run with that instead..

Thanks for the help

rxp steve
    +1
    Areiter, I changed to gear oil " Royal Purple 75w-140" about a year and a half ago in both my ski's with no issues at all. I didn't change anything to the stock setup. I took a plastic spoon and got out most of the grease then wiped it out good, the small amount left will dissipate into the oil. I don't remember the exact amount of oil. Someone will chime in with it. I took my pump apart about 2 weeks ago in the T and the oil looked like when I put it in, after about 90hrs.

+1
    If you decide to go with oil then i would go with 2 to 2.5 oz....no more,no less...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    If you decide to go with oil then i would go with 2 to 2.5 oz....no more,no less...

I still need to do this
    So how do you manage the filling? Do you have someone hold the nose cone upright while you drop the entire pump down onto it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I still need to do this
    So how do you manage the filling? Do you have someone hold the nose cone upright while you drop the entire pump down onto it?
    Nope,just fill my cone with the necessary amount of oil,lay the pump on the bench with the hub facing outward and just put the cone on...gotta use a little bit of speed but it works fine and being the gear lube is somewhat thick it doesnt poor out like say water would....

+1
    why not just put the pump on the bench with the cone pointing up and fill the part where the bearing is with the correct amount of oil and then install the cone??

The reverse bucket would probably make that difficult because everything would then become a chaotic balancing act without spillage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Hey can we use any 75w/140 gear oil that we want, or do we need to stick with certain brands/type/synthetic etc?

And out if curiosity, how was it determined that 2-2.5oz is the specific amount to use?

Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Hey can we use any 75w/140 gear oil that we want, or do we need to stick with certain brands/type/synthetic etc?"
    +1

I have some marine gear oil that can be used for 80w-90 and 85w-90 applications. So does the weight of the oil really matter or is the 75w-140 recommend?

+1
    What is the advantage to using oil over grease?
    Quote Originally Posted by rxp steve View Post
    Areiter, I changed to gear oil " Royal Purple 75w-140" about a year and a half ago in both my ski's with no issues at all. I didn't change anything to the stock setup. I took a plastic spoon and got out most of the grease then wiped it out good, the small amount left will dissipate into the oil. I don't remember the exact amount of oil. Someone will chime in with it. I took my pump apart about 2 weeks ago in the T and the oil looked like when I put it in, after about 90hrs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information