Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2002 stxr 1200

2002 stxr 1200

So I'm most likely going to pick up a used 2002 STXR 1200 but I have a few questions. My biggest issue is it's been in storage since 2006. It has about 50 hours on it. We did a compression test and it's right at 125-130 across all cylinders. The current owner said while it was in storage it was started regularly. I saw it idle on the trailer and it seemed to be idling at about 3000 rpm, does that sound normal? Do you think the carbs need to be rebuilt? The steering linkage is pretty tight so it probably needs a new one. Also I noticed the underside of the hull was a little rough from being beached a lot, how strong are these hulls compared to other 2 strokes? Also, any seals in the jet drive that could have gone bad since it hasn't seen water in so many years?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

Plan on a jetpump rebuild the seals always go bad. Ski should idle at 1800. Hulls are strong stxr is an awesome ski. Carbs might need a rebuild but there is an idle adjustment. Look over the oil and fuel lines

+1
    3000 rpms on the trailer sounds about right. The 1800 rpms would be in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Plan on a jetpump rebuild the seals always go bad. Ski should idle at 1800. Hulls are strong stxr is an awesome ski. Carbs might need a rebuild but there is an idle adjustment. Look over the oil and fuel lines
    This can be done with from the bottom of the ski right? Engine and everything up top can remain in the ski?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nj346 View Post
    This can be done with from the bottom of the ski right? Engine and everything up top can remain in the ski?
    With a question like that, this ski is probably not for you....sounds like you need to find a ski that is in good running order so you can learn while enjoying the ski.....if you take on this project with no real knowledge of how a ski works it could be frustrating and/or costly

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    With a question like that, this ski is probably not for you....sounds like you need to find a ski that is in good running order so you can learn while enjoying the ski.....if you take on this project with no real knowledge of how a ski works it could be frustrating and/or costly
    I guess everyone has their own opinion. I'm a DIY type of person and just want to know what I would be getting myself into. I'm trying to price out what the ski would need before I make the purchase.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Thats the point I was trying to make, Its been in storage for 6 years.....Id say most fuel lines, oil lines, seals need to be replaced, carbs rebuilt....etc...as you know anything that sits for a long period of time with out use is worse then it being used on a regular basis....

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    plan on finding a lot of shit in the carbs if they sat with fuel in them. If you are dead set on the ski use the carbs and other maintenance to drive the price down. For sure replace the fuel and oil lines and I would say pull the fuel sender and clean it all out, maybe even do the triple pickup mod.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    plan on finding a lot of shit in the carbs if they sat with fuel in them. If you are dead set on the ski use the carbs and other maintenance to drive the price down. For sure replace the fuel and oil lines and I would say pull the fuel sender and clean it all out, maybe even do the triple pickup mod.

Sean
    On KBB the ski is worth between $2300(trade-in)-$3300(retail), with the above work, what do you think I should try to pick the ski up for?

-Vinnie

+1
    i would not even have second thoughts about offering $1800 for the ski. its an awesome ski!!!! great in the surf that hull is very strong i used to jump the crap out of mine and never a problem.....ok there was a problem- other people were still faster but i had fun !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information