Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Angry 04 GP1300R - Motor Won't Spin Over - Baffled!

So I took the throttle bodies off to test my injectors (chasing strange misfire). While I was in there I replaced a couple rusty allen head intake screws, 2 throttle body to airbox clamps, and rear air box bracket/stay due to excessive rust (yeay salt water). Put everything back together after motor tested fine, compression was about 117-120 on each cyl, and injector sprays were perfect. Engine was stil bumping over just fine. After complete reassembly...I went to fire her up...and starter engages but motor acts seized. Did I miss a sensor or a plug somewhere? All bolts seem to be in correct locations. Before I tear it all back apart tomorrow night, I figured I'd check with you all to get some guidance. Battery is fully charged, also as I mentioned, it was just spinning over fine before reassembly. Nothing fell inside case or throttle bodies during reassembly. Starter seems fine. It engages, but motor will not spin.

ANY insight is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

+1
    Oh, and I also have the intake grate and lower part of pump out to do the Riva seal kit and new grate (some strange sensor preventing motor from starting with that out)?

+1
    Take the plugs out and grab the coupler on the back of the motor by hand and spin it. It sounds like just the bendix for the starter is not working. If the motor turns over and will not start then sensors but the motor should spin freely.

+1
    But it was working with everything apart, but not now. Plugs are out...can't see where to turn motor over by hand though....

+1
    Under the black plastic under the rear of the exhaust. Whenever the starter is spinning and the motor is not the bendix is stuck in . Just don't see that happening though considering everything was fine. No sensors or plugs control the motor spining. If the starter is spinning and motor is not the bendix is not engaging.

+1
    I will check that for sure, but the starter doesn't spin, it tries to, but seems the motor won't let it...I just have a hard time believing the motor is seized instantly after just installing TB, AB, and stinger. But it sure seems that way based on my symptoms. I will tear it down either tonight or tomorrow and report my findings. Maybe do a video of symptoms. Those always help me. Thanks.

+1
    Ok could just be the battery connections. You said it spun so I was going that route. Try the connections you may have hit the power wire to the starter when moving the stinger around.

+1
    I don't think it's a battery issue. Like I said, it acts like it wants to spin, but something is binding the engine from spinning it seems like. Hopefully tearign down tonight, if not I will tomorrow.

+1
    Sounds like a bad starter or starter binding. see if you can use a long 1/4 extension or long blunt rod and remove all the spark plugs and try pushing down the pistons one at a time. if you cant get anything to move you could remove the starter and bench test it then try pushing pistons down again or as crashhard suggested turning the PTO shaft at the rear of the motor under the coupler cover.

+1
    Yeah, I got it to bump over 2 times Friday night. Didn't have a chance to tear into her this weekend. I will try this week. It seems it may in fact be the starter. I hope that's all it is anyway!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information