+1

Bailer tube question (nozzle side)

So when looking from the back up into the pump nozzle you can see the bailer tubes extend into the water path a good amount as seen here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tubes.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	269181

Is there a reason they NEED to be pretruding that far into the flow? The reason I ask is on our crafts a nozzle change of just a few MM will make a drastic change in RPM. I'm just curious as to why the plastic tubes are needed? With those plastic tubes removed wouldn't the water flowing over just the holes on the nozzle itself create the same desired vacuum affect?

+1
    The syphon will not work without the tubes.

After I installed a bilge pump I went ahead and removed the bailers and epoxied up the nozzle.

+1
    +1 without the tubes there would be no suction created to use the bailers in the bottom of the ski. These skis do have a one way check valve on the bailer hoses so you should not get water in the ski without them, but I would not trust them. You need to seal the holes if you aren't going to use them... On earlier model skis without the check valve on the bailer tube, without the inserts in the Venturi, you would actually force water into the ski through the bailer tubes

+1
    hmmmmm.....I guess I didn't realize the "angle of the dangle" makes that much of a difference in this case. Now my question is would there be any notable benefit from removing the plastic tubes and filling the holes in the nozzle as noted above and let the bilge pump do the work? I guess I'm just kind of hung up on the thought that there might be hinderance of the flow.

+1
    The tubes make a huge difference ... with them in, they create suction ... take them out, and you will have a giant water fountain squirting water INTO your hull thru the bailers. I run bilge pump and Versiplugs, so pulled the tubes out, ground down the remaining humps, then epoxied the hole completely shut. IMO there is no speed gain from this, but I did it for other reasons. You have to go ALL or NOTHING on this one tho ... even a piece chipped off one of the bailer tubes can force water INTO your hull rather than out.

+1
    I agree with Vern. Keep them as they are or remove them completely and epoxy the holes. I learned this the hard way.

Thread Information