Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1300R - Clarifying pump shoe sealing

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum although Ive owned my 07 GPR for about a year now.

Anyway I know this has probably been covered a thousand times (sorry!) but couldnt quite get the answer I was looking for. I'm looking to reduce cavitation when 'getting out of the hole' and found through searching that sealing the shoe is suppose to help. To give some background info, the ski is stock apart from a Riva intake grate. I'm also thinking of getting a Dynafly impellor in the future (prob 13/19)

Have found that Riva do a pump seal kit which seals the voids in the shoe, but is this what is meant when I see on this site people saying to seal the shoe? Or is it literally gunking up the parts of the shoe which make contact with the hull instead?

Instead of paying $80 for the Riva kit I'm thinking about buying a few tubes of silicone and filling the voids in the shoe, but I'm not that keen on actually gunking/sticking the shoe to the hull itself. Is this going to help reduce the cavitation problem?

Thanks in advance for the help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aratic View Post
    Hi all,

I've just joined the forum although Ive owned my 07 GPR for about a year now.

Anyway I know this has probably been covered a thousand times (sorry!) but couldnt quite get the answer I was looking for. I'm looking to reduce cavitation when 'getting out of the hole' and found through searching that sealing the shoe is suppose to help. To give some background info, the ski is stock apart from a Riva intake grate. I'm also thinking of getting a Dynafly impellor in the future (prob 13/19)

Have found that Riva do a pump seal kit which seals the voids in the shoe, but is this what is meant when I see on this site people saying to seal the shoe? Or is it literally gunking up the parts of the shoe which make contact with the hull instead?

Instead of paying $80 for the Riva kit I'm thinking about buying a few tubes of silicone and filling the voids in the shoe, but I'm not that keen on actually gunking/sticking the shoe to the hull itself. Is this going to help reduce the cavitation problem?

Thanks in advance for the help
    yes you don't need to buy the the kit with the rubber inserts..silicone the voids and when you bolt it back on, the seam between the shoe and the hull...keeps that air out...a GPR must..

I'm not sure if it pertains to this or not, but I read something on here not too long ago that said after he sealed up the shoe it kept bucking him off the ski at 60 or so.....if someone would care to chime in for future reference and safety. I think it was a gpr1200 being discussed.

Casting Resin works really good too...to fill the voids in the shoe and is dry and ready to install in minutes. Can get it at Hobby Lobby.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 87r View Post
    I'm not sure if it pertains to this or not, but I read something on here not too long ago that said after he sealed up the shoe it kept bucking him off the ski at 60 or so.....if someone would care to chime in for future reference and safety. I think it was a gpr1200 being discussed.
    not true on sealing the shoe to the hull...

he filled the voids between the ride plate and shoe

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    not true on sealing the shoe to the hull...

he filled the voids between the ride plate and shoe
    Thanks for the responses so far!

So is this sealing the joints between the ride plate and shoe or filling the voids in the shoe below where it attaches under the ride plate? Seems a bit ridiculous that either would cause instability at high speed.

So if I fill the voids in the shoe but don't seal the shoe to the hull and ride plate will this be ok?

+1

So is this sealing the joints between the ride plate and shoe or filling the voids in the shoe below where it attaches under the ride plate? Seems a bit ridiculous that either would cause instability at high speed.

So if I fill the voids in the shoe but don't seal the shoe to the hull and ride plate will this be ok?
    bottom line- dont fill the voids between the shoe and the ride plate... lets not discuss this anymore as it may confuse people further

on the pump shoe... fill the voids in the shoe, then seal the shoe to the hull, especially the rear of the shoe where it mates up with the transom plate... it doesnt do much good to fill the shoe voids, then not seal it to the hull

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1

+1
    Does sealing the pump help on top speed or just on cavitation?

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    bottom line- dont fill the voids between the shoe and the ride plate... lets not discuss this anymore as it may confuse people further

on the pump shoe... fill the voids in the shoe, then seal the shoe to the hull, especially the rear of the shoe where it mates up with the transom plate... it doesnt do much good to fill the shoe voids, then not seal it to the hull
    Thanks for that. I might hold off doing this then until I get an impellor, as I don't wanna be sealing the shoe to the hull then having to remove and seal it again a few months down the track. Do Riva recommend sealing the shoe to the hull when installing their pump seal kit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information