starter tear down question

i have a 96 seadoo xp 787 that the starter went out on. so i bought a new unit and installed it after a few starts it cracked and broke the bolt hole mount not sure if it was user install error or crap product. so my question is can you take the mounts where the bolts screw in off one starter and put the inters of another together to make one good unit? since right no i now have 2 paper weights

+1
    You have nothing to lose. Worst case, you will have two diassembled paper weights.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    better have a look at what really happened..I'v never run into that except when the wrong starter was used. Always a possible bad casting..but the mount is pretty low stress, unless the engine backfires when cranking. You should have little trouble swapping the case parts. a _little_ quality lube on the old bits before reassemble and tighten the bolts with some care. Don't go nut with an air tool. not needed. Little blue thread lock is all you need there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11113.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	269279I think i have the problem that broke it in the first place. My question is how do you remove the two sides of the motor/clutch from the center mount. included is a pic to better explain

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by markreef10 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11113.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	269279I think i have the problem that broke it in the first place. My question is how do you remove the two sides of the motor/clutch from the center mount. included is a pic to better explain

to get the bedix off depress the collar on the bendix and remove the buggery little circlip you'll find there ( a small flat balde screwdriver help. Be careful, you don't want to damage the little clip. then the bendi slides off and you can remove the front casting)..oh yeah..try not to stab yourself in the hand while doing it., Also..the ring has an anti gravity effect..it will simply fly away if you don't keep carful track of it. Workin inside a large zip lock is suggest for first timers here.)

so what are you thinkin here on casue. This style starter can get broken if the o-ring cathces when you are installing it and then tighten the bolts incorrectly, snug them down by hand evenly, then cinch up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    to get the bedix off depress the collar on the bendix and remove the buggery little circlip you'll find there ( a small flat balde screwdriver help. Be careful, you don't want to damage the little clip. then the bendi slides off and you can remove the front casting)..oh yeah..try not to stab yourself in the hand while doing it., Also..the ring has an anti gravity effect..it will simply fly away if you don't keep carful track of it. Workin inside a large zip lock is suggest for first timers here.)

so what are you thinkin here on casue. This style starter can get broken if the o-ring cathces when you are installing it and then tighten the bolts incorrectly, snug them down by hand evenly, then cinch up
    X2

The only thing I can add is Wear safety glasses that clip and piston pin circlips can get stuck in your eye before you can say sh*t.

Thanks for the help i got them swiched around and working like a champ. i see why the aftermarket housing broke it weighs about 1/3 of what the stock one weighed just cheap metal i guess.

+1
    porus casting no dobt..there is a reason OEM starters are crippingly expensive. But as I pontificate on my website..it ain't always the starters fault....

Like a bodyguard it can deliver a knockout punch when needed..but often if you enter it into a prizefight with a motor that isn't able to start..it'll fail and collapse by round 3.

The first thing I tell people that come looking for a starter install is that they best be honest about what's going on, as I will not waranty a starter against burnout. Just ask yourself...How many times would you pull a starter rope on an engine before getting the toolbox out. Jumper cables are not tools.

Thread Information