Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

ratchet straps loosening themselves, question about leaving outside, footwell water

so i have a gpr, with the factory cover on it, it sits outside in my driveway.

first off, i have the straps that toyteriffic sells that go through the holes on the back deck, so you can hook normal ratchet straps to them. i bought straps from advance auto and have been using them, however they seem to be loosening themselves. if i drive anywhere i can usually get another click out of them. am i just using the straps wrong or do i need the kind that has the thinner strap so it grabs better? i have a small ratchet strap from harbor freight that holds down the back of my john boat and it never wants to loosen itself, the strap feels more like fabric and is thinner than the ones on my ski, the ones that hold down the ski are more nylon feeling.

i do have the original strap setup, where you put them through the holes and move the pin that makes it stay in, but that was just a cam buckle setup and they always loosened themselves. does anyone have a link to some that they have, that work? it wouldnt bother me, but driving it 10 minutes down the road lets me click it one more time, im afraid its going to loosen itself too much and let it slide out of its hole and dangle or just plain fall off. i really need pale riders setup again, im going to go back and read that, he seemed to have had it figured out.

dont know if it matters or not but the ski does try to bounce up and down, and will crook itself on the trailer if it hops up high enough. this is what im trying to prevent.

second...

the factory cover is not water resistant, i bring the ski home, wash it, and cover it but if it rains once or any at all, the footwells will get water in them. i dont want my hydroturf to constantly have water on it, but when i put a tarp over the ski with the factory cover on it, it seems to get mold on it since the ski cant breathe. anyone have a nice cover they use for their gpr's that wont let water through? im mainly annoyed that i have to wash it before i take it out to get the mold/pollen lines off the side of the footwells.

any advice is appreciated, thanks guys

Banned User
    +1
    What about treating your factory cover with a waterproofing spray like they use on tents? That should do the trick

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    The tie downs for one of our skis "loosens" as we drive. It turns out that it's the ski settling into its cradle as we bump down the road. What we do is strap the skis down, drive a few miles, pull over and do a check. It's always the same ski that comes loose, regardless of which type of tie downs we use. We ALWAYS do a check after a bit on the road to make sure everything is secure.

Agreed, a waterproofing spray will work. Have used that on my covers too. Also, we tip the trailer nose up so any water runs out of the footwells when it's sitting in the driveway. Our skis spent a winter like that. Just watch that you don't hit the steering nozzle on the ground AND make sure the winch is latched. If balance is an issue, put a brace under it like a sawhorse to hold it up.

+1
    I forgot about the waterproofing spray, anyone have any recomendations or links?

If I tip mind back to where the nozzle touches, it still doesent get all of the water out of the footwells. Quite annoying

and the straps aren't settling either, I drove it from richmond va to the outer banks, probably 4 hours away and I stopped like 6 or 7 times to tighten it back down, every time I stopped the straps clicked twice, even if im driving it 20 minutes away if I stop halfway there they click down once and will again when I get there.

+1
    The waterproofing spray didn't really help, what kinds are you all using? I used breathable kiwi stuff

+1
    Have you tried using the straps from your boat onto the ski? Problem might just be the straps themselves.

+1
    i think im going to get different straps for the ski, same kind as the boat. the boat only has one transom strap but your right i should hook the boat one up and the ski one and drive around the block to see if they loosen

+1
    1st of all, adjust your bunks. The ski will bounce a lot less, once it sits squarely on the bunks.

2nd of all, do NOT OVER-TIGHTEN YOUR STRAPS!!! EVER! What will eventually happen, is that you will end up with two monster cracks across the tops of your footwells, up high, where the hydroturf crest and is headed back down, all the way across your bumpers, and down into your lower hull. Literally, your GPR will crack in half... and you'll blame Yamaha. Nope, it's the ratchets. Bouncing it can handle. Over tightening will break it's back.
    3rd. Experiment with your front to back hoist settings. Moving your ski forward and backward a few inches can change the way it handles on the trailer, and can sometimes lesson the amount of bounce.

One thing I've seen but never gone that far is putting a shock on the trailer axle. It seems to work rather well.

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    The waterproofing spray that we've used is by "Sunbrella" and it's called "High Tech Fabric Guard". We've used this on our patio umbrella and the ski covers. Works reasonably well. Water will eventually start seeping in again so you need to reapply. This stuff is not cheap either and we used a couple of bottles of this.

The only way to completely keep water out of your footwells and keep the ski clean and dry is to store it indoors or under a carport. There will always be water sitting somewhere in the ski developing mold, so putting a water and airtight cover on it defeats the purpose of drying it out. As I mentioned in my previous post, we tip our skis back to drain as much out of the footwells as possible. If there's any residue, I use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe it down. It's never perfect, except at the initial seasonal cleaning where I give the machines a serious once over.

+1
    So hydro toys do you use cambuckles?

Ill have to try that spray

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information