Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bogging issue. Experts inside please

Ok guys I'm not a dummy but I cannot get this figured out. I am working on my 1998 Polaris SLXH 1050. I even took it to a local guy and when he gave it back "fixed" it was still doing the same thing. Here is a little history on the ski. Ever since I bought it, it ran great out of water, revving it up, but in the water, if I pull the gas it bog out and dies. So I would choke it, and quickly squeeze and release the throttle until RPMs were brought up then I could just hold the gas down and it would run great until I slowed down or killed it again. A few years ago I have updated the ignition system with that new revised version. This year I rebuilt all three carbs with a Winderosa kit, replaced the low idle air needles, replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned the pressure valve connected to the gas tank vent. Pop off pressure it 18-20psig. Pulled the reeds, nothing cracked, burnt, or broken. Trimmed the end of the spark plug wire. Checked the pulse lines, gauge bounces to 2psig and back to 0 on both lines. removed all hose clamps and used small zip ties on the fuel lines.

The low speed screws are set at 1 3/4 from seat. With the way it is set now it will die after about 5 seconds out of water. If I set it to about 3 turns from seat it will idle fine out of water. Its not running lean at 1 3/4 in the water after wide open throttle runs, matter of fact the plugs look great. I just cannot get this low/medium throttle figured out. Any responses would be great!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Hate to say it, but you're going to want to rebuild the carbs with genuine Keihin kits. The aftermarket kits aren't very good.

Here's a best solution for you. Buy the new carbs this guy has for sale. Remove the internals from the new carbs and put thewm into the 1050 carbs, leaving your existing jetting.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ght=1200+carbs

Sent the guy a PM. Waiting for a response.

Well I think I just fixed the problem. Last night I pulled the reeds out and inspected them, they looked fine. Just got done putting it together, poured some fuel down the carbs, fired it up and it ran GREAT! going to the lake tomorrow to test it. When I pulled the reeds last night, one of the reeds come out attached to the lower intake. Thinking back now, I think the seal was bad as I changed nothing to the carbs. I did however put some black RTV around the reeds when I re-installed them. Wish me luck tomorrow.

+1
    Good luck

Ok so I took it to the lake today, ran a LOT better. I had one hiccup before I sucked some water through the carbs and then it just ran like total shit. Anyway, when on nice flat smooth water, it would run 5400 RPM then it was like flipping a switch it would hit 6100 RPM. Might last 3 seconds, then it would go back down to 5400 RPM...For some reason it was switching between the two. Flat water, It was just a huge increase in speed, not sure why it was doing it, any ideas?

+1
    Water ingestion is a MAJOR issue. First you now need to check your crank index. Water doesn't compress and can knock your crank out of phase causing piston failure and performance issues.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148277

If the index comes back good, then we'll try diagnosing your issues, but until then, this is the first thing to check.

Secondly, check for water inside the pulse hose.

Well I dont think I had enough water in there to cause any damage. I just took it out for about an hour and a half without the filter or flame arrestor on. The hull was never submerged. matter of fact there was such little water in there when I pulled the ski onto the trailer and no water come out of the drain plug hole.

+1
    Doesn't take much water inside the engine to cause an issue.

It doesn't take long or cost anything to do it, so i still suggest you verify your crank index is fine before you go any further.

I will index it tomorrow. I have 2 of those carbs on the way also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information