Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why is oil coming out of a little hole in my PTO cover???

Finally tracked down the source of an oil leak I had while the engine was running. So the engine is out of the ski for the second time in less than a week - I'm gettting good and pulling the engine.

Anyway, I discovered that oil is coming out of a little hole in the side (under oil filter housing, next to engine mount) of the PTO cover. It starts a few seconds after I turn the engine over. I assume this is a pressure relief hole or something?

Can someone explain why and tell me how to fix this? I did not see anything in the service manual related to this orifice.

Thanks,
    Greg

I think I found the answer in the Tech manual: Oil out of weep hole (leak indicator) means a bad oil seal.

Does this sound correct?

This really pisses me off, because installing this seal, the rotary seal and the oil pump shaft are the ONLY things I let my dealer do (requires special tool) and they did that incorrectly. I supplied the parts and now it takes 2 new seals (and I assume a new PTO gasket?) to fix.

This is why I HATE paying people to do something I can do better.

Sounds like you found your answer, i do recall something about a weep hole and that tell you the seal is bad.

I had the rear bearing seize from water contamination after 2hrs from the dealer changing impeller for me, yet again I should also have done it myself but wanted it done before id get round to it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghlenz View Post
    I think I found the answer in the Tech manual: Oil out of weep hole (leak indicator) means a bad oil seal.

Does this sound correct?

This really pisses me off, because installing this seal, the rotary seal and the oil pump shaft are the ONLY things I let my dealer do (requires special tool) and they did that incorrectly. I supplied the parts and now it takes 2 new seals (and I assume a new PTO gasket?) to fix.

This is why I HATE paying people to do something I can do better.
    You are correct on everything you said!

+1
    They pushed the oilpump shaft the wrong way in this causes leaks,the sealing behind the cooling impeller,works like a kind of button,if you put to much pressure on you ruin it.
    You can do it yourself,i used a big bench vise to do the job.

I'm sorry just read it's another seal were the oil leaks from.

Quote Originally Posted by richrxp View Post
    They pushed the oilpump shaft the wrong way in this causes leaks,the sealing behind the cooling impeller,works like a kind of button,if you put to much pressure on you ruin it.
    Can you explain this a little more - I am wondering how the Pump Shaft should be installed - it can only go into the case/seal one way. Do you mean the shaft was installed too far and then backed out which is what caused the problem? I am asking them do it again and pay for the replacement parts, but I want to make sure it gets done correctly this time so I don't waste a gallon of oil and a crap load of my time.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

+1
    Yes that is what i mean,i tested this with the old oilpumpshaft,it's possible to put to much pressure on it,then the seal won't work anymore.
    When you push the shaft in you stop when it touches the oilpumphousing.
    But you can put more pressure on and push the seal in,but the the seal cant be pushed in anymore ,it's tight.
    I tried this to be sure i installed the shaft the right way,it's possible ,i tried this on my old pto housing,just to be safe.
    This might be the cause of your problem.
    The workshop manual doesn't say exactly how to do the job,only to use a press.
    So that's why i tested it on my old pto.

+1
    Did you get this issue fixed?

I think your issue is with the rubber seal below the ceramic seal. If it is a seal issue

+1
    i have all the special tools but rarely use them, its easier to use the impeller to push the inside of the ceramic seal in then use a socket to tap the outside in, then use the impeller to push the inside, just walk it back and forth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information