Help!... 705sl revs but doesn't go?

Looked through the posts, and didn't see anything like this, so please forgive me if I am duplicating a thread. I am new to PWC repair, and have run into an issue on my 94 Polaris 750sl. Everything was going great today on the lake (first trip out this season), when all of a sudden I lost forward thrust. The engine would rev fine, but no acceleration. Sort of like being in neutral, but noticed a good bit of vibration as throttle was opened. It would move forward at idle with typical idle thrust, so I limped it back to the landing. I don't know where to start... Any advise on what to check first would be appreciated.

I would check your impeller first. I sucked up a bread bag once and did the exact same thing. Could also be drive shaft splines are ruined.

Banned User
    +1
    Check the impeller first, but I bet you ruined a driveshaft or coupler or both. Should be less than 100 bucks to fix. Check the splines on both ends of the driveshaft as well as inside the impeller. DO NOT stick your finger in the impeller or coupler though. You will not like how that feels. There could be lots of sharp metal pieces inside there. Don't ask me how I know this.........

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah, sounds like you picked something up inside the intake area. I had a stick lodged between the impeller and the wear ring dong the same thing you described.

Checkt the pump for any crap, then report back.

Thanks for the direction and quick response... I'm really hoping to find something simple like debris somewhere, but I didn't see anything obvious at first glance on the trailer. I will let you know what I find after taking things apart a bit.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Take a good look at the impeller. Twice now i've had something lodge between the impeller and wear ring causing me issues.

Plastic bottle cap once and a piece of wood another time.

Boss's brother once sucked up some leaves and I sucked up sea weed and that caused it to not run right either.

You guys are the greatest! I dropped the intake grill and found a small piece of black plastic about 1/8" thick x1"x3" laying right in front of the impeller. Couldn't see it just looking through the intake grill, but it was there! Thanks so much for your help... got me back in the water quick! I was expecting the worse!

Thread Information