+1

installing a primer realistically which line should i tap into

My fuel switch is stuck in the reserve position so the ski (99 gp800)always runs on the reserve setting should I put the tee on the return right at the tank like many people have been debating about

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercrxsir View Post
    My fuel switch is stuck in the reserve position so the ski (99 gp800)always runs on the reserve setting should I put the tee on the return right at the tank like many people have been debating about
    On the return line from carbs.

+1
    If you always run on reserve, you need to pull the fuel sending unit/pick-up and check the length of the reserve line. Many of the GPRs and XLL/XLT's I've seen have had the reserve line "grow" in length and actually touch and seal partially against the end of the sending unit tank, restricting flow.

Mine is also stuck on reserve due to the fact that I busted my fuel selector knob screw off inside the shaft of the selector. I pretty much had to choose a setting to leave it on so I chose "reserve". I plumbed my primer in just like the instructions said on it (about 3" above the tank on the outgoing reserve line. Since you just may need to prime at some point when your ski is low on fuel...it sort of makes sense to prime from the reserve. I do wish I was able to pull the tank out of my SUV without having to remove the engine (entire engine and the majority of the exhaust had to be removed on my bud's SUV to get the tank out) so that I could have checked the length of the reserve tube in the tank like LT1GMC stated. So far, no problem running though.

Just before the primer line goes into the new primer nipple on the carb top, I did put in about 1' worth of primer line that dips down to the bottom of the ski and then back up to the carb to create a belly where fuel can sit ready to prime. Makes a "U" shape before the carb... That was someone else's idea from this forum. Might have even been LT1's...I can't remember.
    Last edited by macGruber; 04-22-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

+1
    The return line is the safest but sometimes requires a lot of pumping before getting fuel through it.
    If you're stuck on reserve and the "on" isn't gonna be used for anything else, then you could use the "on" directly to the primer.

+1
    Well. If your fuel selector is stuck on reserve, just use the "on" for primer, the on is useless now. If you afraid that you need to prim when fuel is low. Then open the fuel sender bar and extent the length of he "on" hose.
    Gigem I dont think you have to remove the tank to get the fuel sender bar out. Only tk the tank out if it need cleaning.

Thread Information