Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impeller Install? Pictures?

Going to be changing the impeller on my F12x in a few weeks. I am looking for some pictures to guide me. I found some instructions on PWC today but the links to pictures are no longer working.

Anyone know of an active site with some pictures still? Its always good for me to get a reference to the text I am reading.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    I don't know of any pics but make sure that you buy the Solas impeller tool and have a good shop vise to clamp it in to. It is simple, just make sure you locktitie the impller and torque to 105 FtLbs. Be sure to discard the O ring and transfer the hidden rubber plug from inside the old impeller to inside the new one.
    Last edited by JRINJAX; 04-25-2012 at 09:13 AM.

+1
    its easy... just a little mechanical compentance needed.

All u have to do is remember how you took everything off to put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by nitric13 View Post
    its easy... just a little mechanical compentance needed.

All u have to do is remember how you took everything off to put it back together.
    I hear some guys switching the lube that is used to gear case lube etc, is this something I should do to or just use the existing stuff honda uses? When I am doing the impeller swap do I need to change out the lube (if I stick with the OEM stuff) or can I just leave it.

I've heard some say they didn't like anything but grease in the pump. Last year when i pulled my pump for the first time i flushed out the bearings with brake cleaner several times to get the Honda eco grease out(looks milky like oil and grease mixed, this is normal though). I then filled up the pump with lower unit gear case oil to where it would start to come out with the pump tilted at ~45 degrees. I then put a film of grease on the o ring and put the pump's rear cover back on. I've had zero issues with running the oil instead of grease. No oil has leaked out of the pump and no water has found its way in.

Ok I think I will stick with grease. If I am re-using the OEM grease but need to top it up, can any marine grease be added or do I have to clean out the OEM stuff and add in all new grease of whatever brand I go with?

I have heard Green Grease is the way to go but I can't get any locally in Canada so what are some other alternatives?

I wouldn't mix most greases with the OEM grease. The OEM is a urea based grease while most easily obtainable greases are lithium based. They are generally compatible, but I wouldn't risk it. If you change greases, I'd recommend getting all of the old out.

If you want to stay with an OEM style grease, John Deere markets a #0 urea based grease, some dealers carry it. I'm using their #2 urea based grease for the grease fitting on the driveshaft too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by loudsubz View Post
    Going to be changing the impeller on my F12x in a few weeks. I am looking for some pictures to guide me. I found some instructions on PWC today but the links to pictures are no longer working.

Anyone know of an active site with some pictures still? Its always good for me to get a reference to the text I am reading.

Thanks in advance.
    While you have the pump out you should really conisder replacing the plastic cable bushings with the aluminum aftermarket ones. Could save you from water intrusion down the road.
    Last time I bought them on ebay the guy was charging $12.00 each

Quote Originally Posted by schredder View Post
    While you have the pump out you should really conisder replacing the plastic cable bushings with the aluminum aftermarket ones. Could save you from water intrusion down the road.
    Last time I bought them on ebay the guy was charging $12.00 each
    do you have a link?

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information