Spring Maintenance 96 xp and 97 GSI

With riding weather approaching I've been doing some light work on these skis. Wear ring/prop in the GSI. Stators and rectifiers in both. I'm down to the stator in the XP by following the manual and helpful threads on here. Stuck at the 6 pin connector at the stator. How exactly does the orange insert pop out of the connctor to insert the new pins? Now on the GSI...Any trics to getting the 30mm nut off the large cup on the flywheel. Any home remedies for pulling the flyweel? Of course I don't have the puller thats available. Suck it up and buy one I'm sure is the answer here. Also of note is that I have to pull the engine from the GSI to fix a mount problem and oil leak. Thanks!

Brandon

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the PTO is reverse threaded on there...if your trying the get it off. remove the grease zerk, grab a pipe wrench place it on the small end of the PTO housing and give it a big kick. it should break loose. you may want to block the motor between something sturdy too. the orange thing the 6 pin connector should just pop out. why are you trying to pull the flywheel? is it bad? to pull the flywheel there are three holes for some bolts. find some bolts that fit and if you can tighten them a bit at a time it will push itself off. for that 30mm nut id be looking for an air impact gun. hold the pto with a pipe wrench and hit the nut with the gun.

By PTO i am assuming that you are talking about the drive shaft side of the motor. PTO is staying on both for right now. The reason for pulling the flywheel is to get behind there and remove the stator (if I've looked at the schematics and read the direction in the manual correctly). Now is the nut on the flywheel reverse thread? I guess I'll just work on pulling the motor and breaking it loose on a table.

I got the connector apart. In haste I did not mark the wires to back into the correct placement. Are they all power wires and one ground. Does it matter if this is the case?

+1
    I used to have a 97 GSI, great machine.

The nut on the flywheel is not reverse thread.

I use a piece of wire like the battery cables, pull both spark plugs and using a screwdriver down the MAG spark plug hole turn the motor using the PTO to find top dead center. Looking at the front of the motor the nut turns CCW for removal so turn the motor CW just enough to get the battery cable through the spark plug hole to sit on top of the piston now loosen the nut and the battery cable will stop the motor turning over. Don't get too much cable in the cylinder as it might get stuck in a port and shear a piece off also do this on the MAG piston not the PTO as this will reduce the twisting effect on the crank.

You also need a proper puller once the flywheel nut is off if you run the bolts all the way in until you hit something you will damage the stator and magneto coils.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97 GSI 2.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	269494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97 GSI 6.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	269495

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that with the motor in.

Any advice on the 6 pin connector and its wire placement? I'd like to put this thing back together today if possible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhilton2v View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try that with the motor in.

Any advice on the 6 pin connector and its wire placement? I'd like to put this thing back together today if possible.
    Never had one apart, sorry can't help with that.

I finally just put it back together. No marks on the wires like the rest of the boat..just as long as the stator isn't built with phases.

Thread Information