Thread: A Good Drum Day

Poquoson Virginia

A Good Drum Day

Yesterday morning my friend Todd of Gloucester and I dropped our rigged up jet skis in at Messick Boat Ramp in Poquoson Va, and headed across the Chesapeake Bay in search of Red Drum. I had stopped at Grafton Fishing Supply the night before and loaded up on live blue crabs to use for bait.
    It was about a 20 mile ride to the Shoals off of Fisherman Island, a little bumpy going across but pretty nice once we got there.
    I anchored up in four feet of water close to the breakers next to a slight drop off and put out two lines with live whole hard crab, a 7/0 J hook and two foot 80lb leader with a 10 oz pyramid slider sinker was the ticket for me.
    I caught a couple nice Red Drum up to 50 inches, It was a blast in shallow water with the waves breaking next to me! I could feel the Drum rubbing bottom as he peeled off line. The fish were released and swam away strongly.
    Todd got a couple of Skates but no takers on the drum. Thanks for taking the pics of me, I have caught several from my ski but this is the first time I had pictures of me holding one.
    Fog rolled in and out while we were there but it cleared up nicely for the ride back. We stopped in at Wallace's Bait and Tackle where I filled out my paperwork for a Virginia Citation Red Drum. I also bought a cool T shirt that I thought was appropriate given what I had just caught. Here are some pictures I took yesterday, the last ones are from in my wife's garden, she says I do not take enough pictures of it so I am trying to prove her wrong. Ha!

St. Amant, LA
    Nice Red, Brian. That is what we call a Bull Red down here in SoLA.

Thread Information