2002 Polaris Virage i won't start

Hello.

I have a 2002 Polaris Virage i which stopped last 6 July and hasn't started since. I recently took the ski to Jim in Fremont Ohio, who is a Polaris guru. After hooking the ski up to the machines, he has now told me that the engine is good, with fine compression, and everything is OK with the engine. It seems to be the electronics that is the problem. He said that the MMR/RMM/MRM (?) is bad and the spark is not being synchronized with the pistons. The spark isn't firing at tdc, and that is why the ski won't start. I have been trying to contact him for the name of the exact part but the telephones have not been working well. He says that the replacement part is $1,200. As I want to sell the ski I do not want to put $1,200 in a ski that will sell w/ trailer for $2,000. I'd rather just sell the ski and trailer for $800, as the result is the same.

Does anyone know the part I am talking about and whether it is available for less than $1,200? I would figure the ski as is would be worth at least $400, the single galvanized Bandit trailer would be about the same, and everything all together and working would be $2,000. Am I in the ballpark?

Once I sell the Polaris I plan to stick to Yamahas. I have two Yamaha XLT 1200's, a 2001 and a 2002. I plan to make myself knowledgeable about these skis and quit while I am ahead.

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. It's hard to sell a ski that won't start and run.

Former Ski Doo owner. Will never own one again.

EMM? Probably talking about the main computer being bad. DFI Technologies can check it out for you and if repairable usually around $600.

^^ What he said.

Pretty much every injected machine will have an EMM failure....it's just a matter of when. DFI is the only company that can repair/upgrade them. Once they've done their magic, you shouldn't have any more problems for the life of the ski.

I would search around on here and do some of the diagnostics to rule out any of the other common problems (TPS, CPS, etc.) before sending it off. If you do send it to them, they'll do diagnostics on it and if they don't find anything wrong, they usually won't charge you. All it will cost you is the shipping there and back.

Thanks for the advice guys! Have sent e-mail to DFI this morning. Will let you know how things go. Jim in Fremont supposedly checked out all of the other systems and the EMM seems to be the culprit according to his investigation. Thanks again.

+1
    Emailed DFI and never got a response.

Called on the other hand and had a great conversation with one of the guys there. I would give them a call. So far their customer service has been great!

I always got an automated response when I e-mail them....but I could always get them on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    I always got an automated response when I e-mail them....but I could always get them on the phone.
    Same here. When I talked to them on the phone a while back they seemed pretty busy.

Thread Information