Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

virage bendix help please

hey folks,
    i have a 2002 virage tx 1200.
    had the starter nosecone break off when replacing starter last year.
    i finally grinded out the last bit and started reassembly. i kept the engine in and took off the front flywheel cover and moved anything movable out of the way while working on it.
    my problem is the bendix(starter gear) is sticking too far out to allow the cover to go back on. it is kind of just flopping around.
    i researched posts and pictures and cannot figure out is there a notch the back end(closest to rear of ski) sits in? any tricks or anything?
    i have the service manual, but that assumes the flywheel and magnetto are out and also just says install gear.
    Also, the starter is not pushed in all the way yet, so i know iam not hitting that.
    thanks.
    johnny

+1
    yes theres a lhole in the back that it slips into just like the front cover has just start moving it around it should fall in the hole

ok, thanks lugs.

+1
    Yes.....and move it around a little to make sure the bendix drive gear engages into the starter drive gear......they need to mesh or it can hang out a little.

so with mirror and flashlight in hand, i check all is clean in there and blow out any metal shavings from the grinding, and i find a washer.using a magnet, i pull it out. now because of the way it was in there, i believe it goes on the rear shaft(closest to starter motor). the service manual only says keep track of any parts when taking off cover and does not say what or where parts go. is this the only washer? the front of the bendix gear has a spring and collar, is that all?

+1
    No, there should be TWO thrust washers. One on each end of the bendix shaft.... They're both the same.

what does a thrust washer look like? is it just a regular washer? again the service manual exploded parts assembly does not show this ( i think). thanks crazya

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenot View Post
    what does a thrust washer look like? is it just a regular washer? again the service manual exploded parts assembly does not show this ( i think). thanks crazya
    it looks like a washer but it's real thin and stainless

what does a thrust washer look like? again, the exploded view and assembly section of the manual really dont mention this area. Thanks crazya

sorry lugs, i went back to forum and didnt see my post as the latest and thought i didnt hit post my reply, thats why the double post. thanks for the quick response.
    so the washer i dug out is the rear one and i just need to find the front one. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information