+1

Smile 300X Intake - Riva or R&D

I am thinking of modifying the intake of my 300X to allow more cool air into the supercharger. I ride off shore mainly part rec/part racing.

Is the Riva Filter setup or R&D Cool Air setup better? Riva one has the stock air box removed but it still seem to suck air from underseat compartment. While the R&D gets the air into the underseat through underneath of the glovebox. I wonder if the Riva one is more safe from water getting into the intake?

Please share me some of your valuable experiences! Thanks!

Really dont waste your money and spend it more wisely on more worthwhile upgrades, these items have very little affect if any and just allow the possibility of more water rather than more air into the intake, the stock system is more than adequate for even a modified engine.

+1
    I have installed a 1100 Rule Bilge pump (Took me long...) I am not really looking for top speed gains but keeping the engine running cooler without spending a big money. I have a friend who ran the whole intake to the front storage compartment.

Bilge pump worth every cent and more, look at it as a get you home when things go wrong, would never ride the ocean without one. As long as you can supply the front storage area with cool air that does not allow water intrusion at the same time, now that is the problem with all these mods its always a compromise, if you are riding in surf / rough seas better leave it stock, for such minimal gains the risks are too high.

+1
    Thanks for your input. I can see that R&D Flat filter is installed underneath the glovebox which should let water in easily... Then the Riva one sounds safer given that I don't expect the "mushroom" filter will get wet since it is inside the engine compartment. But that way it's still sucking in hot air from within the compartment

I guess they both don't work. Anyone tried them before?

Banned User
    +1
    As stated the riva is a waist of money the flat filter is not a intake rather just a filter that replaces the stock block off plate. That is find to use. But the riva is worthless IMO especially for offshore to much chance of water intrusion.

i gained some rpm with the r&d flat filter. did the install mid summer with temps around 90 degrees seemed to gain about 30/40 rpms.in colder weather it probably wont do anything.

+1
    You said you ride offshore. You also stated mainly recreationally.... This usually means jumping waves playing in the surf and burying the bow of the ski.
    DO NOT buy either of these items. Stay stock. It is not at all worth taking a chance and you will never notice the gains IF there actually are any on your ski.

+1
    I am planning to join a race in the next two month and I do ride aggressively sometime.

The summer gets HOT here so I think I'm going to give the R&D Cool Air Kit a try. I doubt if too much water will enter from underneath the glovebox. And if it does my bilge pump will do the work. Seems safer keeping the Air Box in instead of installing the RIVA...

Thread Information