Sunrise, Fl

Stock vs Mods - Pros and Cons

I'm really feeling the modification bug here lately. My mech has talked me out of it for a couple of years now since I've joined the pwc family. He's Stock all the way. I'm happy with my vessels, don't really wanna spend an awful lot of $$ on something that's works perfectly anyway, but I'm always on these forums and reading what you guys have & do and it's starting to affect me.

I own a 2001 GTX & 2003 GTX 4-Tec, both with rebuilt engines, completely stock. (upgraded valves on the 4-Tec) For someone like me who doesn't need to go 80 mph (cuz u can't anyway out in the open water with all the surf & waves) what effective bolt-ons can I add to just "wake up" both of my babies just a little bit?

I read about ride plates, riva intake grate & shorty water box (whatever that is) for starters. What would u guys recommend and why? What are the cons for transforming your engine into something other than what the manufacturer had intended.

Thanks as always

Nederland, Texas
    There are a few things you can do that would make the skis perform better without affecting reliability. Intake grate is probably the #1 thing most people do to increase performance, especially if you ride in rough water. A aftermarket prop can also give better performane over stock with out affecting reliability.

Hermitage, TN
    For your 4-Tec I would recommend the grate, prop, wedge, OPAS removal, and air filter kit. That should give you a little more performance without effecting the reliability. The 2001 GTX has the 951 2 stroke so I would just do the grate and prop on that one. You could change out your intake on the 2001, but you would also have to change your jetting so that would potentially effect the reliability if you didn't get it dialed in exactly right.

Thread Information