die out when it hits the water

I have a 1993 GTS that I put a new impeller wear ring, cdi box and replaced the crankshaft with a rebuilt unit on a few years ago for a friend. When I got it all back together the ski started up and ran fine on the trailer with the hose hooked up to it. I didn't have a chance to test it in the water before he took it with him back to his lake house up in northern wisconsin. The problem is as soon as the thing hits the water the engine dies out immediately. It starts on the boat lift fine and even if you rev the engine up as you lower it into the water it dies out as soon as it starts sucking water. This was my first time working on a rotax but i've built polaris and other 2 stroke engine before without problems but they were all snowmobiles. I bought the little degree wheel to time the valve and everything and I'm pretty sure thats on correctly. So my buddy finally brought it back down here for me to look at again. Any good ideas of where to start? My first thought is maybe ignition timing or something along those lines. Any help is greatly appreciated.

+1
    I belive that is a 720 engine. Very reliable one thoug. Since it has been stored for some time do you check the carb and fuel lines for any obstruction?? Are u using fresh fuel? (mix) Check your exhaust hoses . I ran in to a case long time ago that the exhaust hose that goes to the waterbox was like puffed inside obstructing and when the craft was under load it dies .

Quote Originally Posted by AndinoWatercraft View Post
    I belive that is a 720 engine. Very reliable one thoug. Since it has been stored for some time do you check the carb and fuel lines for any obstruction?? Are u using fresh fuel? (mix) Check your exhaust hoses . I ran in to a case long time ago that the exhaust hose that goes to the waterbox was like puffed inside obstructing and when the craft was under load it dies .

I think its a 550cc. Anyway it started doing this right after I put it back together, it had not been sitting at that time. The fuel was fresh.

+1
    Sounds to me like the fuel filters in the carbs are blocked. I have had a ski run fine on the hose and under load(in the water) it would die. Internal fuel filters ended up being clogged.

Could be a leaky head gasket. I had the same issue with a 750 kawi standup. ran great on the hose but couldn't get it to run as soon as it hit the water. Sure you torqued the head properly?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    first you need to check the idle. if its too low it will die in the water. now, the last time that I had this happen I had lost a piston. I leaned way out but it would still run out of the water but when i put it in it died. pull the head and inspect for damage.

+1
    Had this issue on a boat I just serviced. Internal carb filters were blocked.

Clean carb high speed jets prob clogged

check your compression i had the same problem so i checked the compression and it was 60 psi. Thats just my two cents

Thread Information