Advice for riding in dirty rivers

Hey guys I'm very new at this and so I am wondering how worried I should be about riding in rivers with alot of debris. With the winter snows melting up here in the NW alot of crap comes down the rivers with the higher water levels. I'm talking mainly twigs and branches all the way up to logs. Of course avoid the logs but what about the smaller floating twigs and small branches? What is the likelihood of these things getting sucked in and doing damage to the ski?

Thanks for any experience you can share in this area.

+1
    Just do the best you can go avoid them,
    may have to go for the occasional swim to remove them from the intake grate
    and eventually may need a new wear ring but thats about it.

Big stick may damage the prop etc but would have to be unlucky

+1
    Saturday when I out fishing on the ocean I ran into a giant kelp bed. Oh man that sucked completly clogged up the intake dug it out for about half an hour. Was thinking to myself its to dam cold to go for a swin today

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stay out of the Willamette until things clear out a bit - way too dirty for my liking..couldn't really get up to speed w/o dodging piles of crap. Knowing that it's more likely to just clog up the intake than get inside and do major damage really helps also. At one point I hit something just under the water that I couldn't see until I was up on it and it was too late to turn; some sort of hard plastic about 2 feet square I think...I heard it hit and felt it a bit but I think it hit the plate so it didn't scratch up the ski. But there are cleaner rivers/lakes to have fun in and just avoid the hassle altogether. Thanks again.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    I'm working a tool to help remove debri from the impeller for guys/gals in our situation..
    already have a working prototype, where i ride its not uncommon for at least one ski to suck something up over the coarse of the weekend..
    we have used "improvised tools" to get them out of the impeller / tunnel area usually we are able to get stuff out..

everything from branches, bottle caps, parts of plastic coat hangers, plastic bags, to name a few things

Just to be safe I decided to get under the ski and take a look at the impeller and what do you know there was a twig wedged at the impeller. I didn't want to take the plate off so I used a pair of pliers to grab onto it and was able to pull it out. I can't see if I got it all though since it was at the bottom side of the impeller and I couldn't see well enough but I don't think I got the whole thing (it felt like it broke off instead of just coming out) so before I take the ski out I will do a more thorough inspection. There was also a piece of wood (about and inch diameter and 4 inches long) caught between the hull and the trailer runner but that was easy enough to remove. Jeez I think I'll never drop my skis into that debris filled river again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven63 View Post
    Just to be safe I decided to get under the ski and take a look at the impeller and what do you know there was a twig wedged at the impeller. I didn't want to take the plate off so I used a pair of pliers to grab onto it and was able to pull it out. I can't see if I got it all though since it was at the bottom side of the impeller and I couldn't see well enough but I don't think I got the whole thing (it felt like it broke off instead of just coming out) so before I take the ski out I will do a more thorough inspection. There was also a piece of wood (about and inch diameter and 4 inches long) caught between the hull and the trailer runner but that was easy enough to remove. Jeez I think I'll never drop my skis into that debris filled river again.

i pulled 3 yes 3, 6" x 1" long "branches" out of the tunnel/prop it took 3 different attempts to finallly get all of it out..
    got one out.. took for a quick spin cavatation...
    brought back in.. found another stick.. part of the same one.. all the pieces matched right up..

we usually ride in groups.. so 2-3 guys will prop the ski up on its side on the sandy beach, (one time we had to do it on a dock ramp ( ouch rub rails all scrapped up)),

when on its side we Bump the starter until we can see the debri, pull it out with tools.. most of the time stuff is wedged in so it takes some force to pry them out,
    it has saved many a weekend (the improvised tool), the one i made is ALOT stronger and reaches in throught the tunnel or pump area with ease..

this new tool is still a prototype.. so maybe a few more months before i actually get a "finished one"

Well hurry up and bring that thing to market cuz there has to be an easier way for us skiers to clean out their prop and tunnel without dis-assembling. Hope you make lots of money .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven63 View Post
    Well hurry up and bring that thing to market cuz there has to be an easier way for us skiers to clean out their prop and tunnel without dis-assembling. Hope you make lots of money .
    there is, it's in the works...
    if you suck something up..
    just idle to shore otherwise you will definatly damage the ring with the vibrations and cavatation and what ever is stuck in there..

right now its fully made up and ready for use.. its a matter of deciding how well it works as is..
    then i have to find someone to buy it.. ( ie riva, R&D, etc..) and make it reasonably priced..
    remember if you dont know how to pull your pump out the dealer will charge minimum $200 thats if they dont find additional damage..

Thread Information